13in or 15in? Also a question regarding processor choices.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GreatMightySymp, Jul 29, 2014.

1. GreatMightySymp macrumors member

GreatMightySymp

I currently have a Mid 2011 27in iMac. I'm a web designer and programmer by trade, so I was thinking of possibly picking up a MBPr now that they've refreshed them. (Plus I have not-optimal eye sight and having a retina quality screen really helps my eyes from eye strain.)

I'm looking into the 13in model as I have a Surface Pro 3 for Windows development and the 12in size is alright. Is there any reason to go up to 15in besides a bigger screen? I had a 15in Windows laptop a good 5-6 years ago and that thing was a brick so I'm wary of the larger size for a notebook.

Also, if I was doing the 256GB option (I'd use the iMac for main music/video storage) is there any need to increase the processor or is it basically just benchmark increases unless you went full-hog for the 3.0GHz choice? I'd be bumping up to 16GB regardless.

Also, IIRC if you have a Thunderbolt-to-Thunderbolt cable you can use the iMac as a secondary monitor?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

The screen size is really a matter of personal preference. I have a 15" and love the extra real estate. I think the deciding factor for you might be whether or not you will have to carry it around a lot. If so, maybe you'd prefer the 13" over the 15".

3. GreatMightySymp thread starter macrumors member

GreatMightySymp

Yeah, I'd ideally favor weight over screen size if it came to that as I have the 27in iMac as a second screen when I'm home. I'd like it to be small enough to easily fit in my Filson messenger bag.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I have a 27" iMac as well, but still prefer the 15" MBP. However, I don't travel with it much at all. But I think that if I were to start traveling, I'd actually go for a 13" MacBook Air.

5. Zauberer macrumors regular

In terms of portability, I don't think weight should be the deciding factor. They are both quite light; I'm able to carry around my 2011 non-retina 15" fairly easily for long periods. However, if your bag is too small or you will be using it on small surfaces, then maybe the 13" is the better way to go. Portability preferences are very personal.