13in Retina color calibration?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mac.User, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Mac.User macrumors 6502

Does anyone know where I can find some calibrated files for the 13in Retina? I don't have the software/hardware to do it myself.

I know for my Air that I had I found some good ones that really helped the colors, but I can't find any for the 13in Retina.

2. Chris5488, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013

Chris5488 macrumors regular

Despite the fact that millions of these devices are being build with the same displays, an "universal" calibration file doesn"t always give you a fully calibrated screen. The screens are more or less the same out of the factory, but age differently. If you really want to calibrate your screen as best as possible you need to do it yourself with your own Macbook.

I used Supercal to calibrate the screen of my iMac, made a big difference. It's shareware so you'll only get a limited version, but this (free!:D) limited version is good enough to calibrate your screen decently. Put your screen brightness at the level you'll use your Macbook the most (put it at least at 40%), make sure there are no light sources (windows or lightbulbs) behind you, or do it in the dark, so what you'll see isn't affected by external factors. Then: use your eyes, follow the steps and be as precise as possible when you adjust the sliders during the calibration.

At the end, it'll give you a Colorsync file to be loaded and voila! ;)
    That's the way I did it, the result was very good and it was free. A real calibration device like a Datacolor Spyder offers better results ofcourse, but you can't go wrong this free piece of software.

3. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

Don't waste your time with Supercal or someone else's calibration files. Unless you are skilled, and know exactly what you are looking for, and even then it is a challenge. You need hardware.

You can do white level and black level by your eye, which is what I prefer to do when calibrating TV's. But color gamut, grayscale, and gamma needs to be done with a meter.

You can get a excellent colorimeter for pretty cheap. Check out the i1 Display Pro.

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Wow, what a coincidence. I just happened to put my Spyder 4 pro on my 15" mid 2013 (Gotta love the Samsung screen and SSD...winning!) and I honestly couldn't tell a difference between the calibrated and stock configuration.

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Same with my 13" Retina. Nearly no difference using the Spyder color calibration.