13in Retina MacBook Pro (integrated GPU) - Expected Windows battery life?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by NATO, Nov 29, 2015.

1. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I use Windows a lot for work purposes and I'm considering a retina MacBook Pro 13in.

I'm very aware that a Mac with discrete GPU ends up having very poor battery life in Windows so I'm thinking of the 13in Retina MacBook Pro with integrated graphics only.

If anyone has one of these models running Windows 10 in boot camp, could you be so kind as to share your experience of battery life?

2. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

It's ok but not great. I would set the power scheme somewhere between Battery Saver and Balanced. Setting the max cpu to 70-80% helps with heat on my 15inch. It doesn't impact performance. On my 13in Win10 would last 5~6hrs

3. NATO thread starter macrumors 68000

NATO

I was fortunate enough to be able to try it out on a new MacBook Pro 15in (integrated GPU) and I have to say I was very, very impressed with Windows running in Boot Camp.

It's clear that OS X has the edge when it comes to pure battery life but compared to my 17in MacBook Pro that would struggle with 3hours due to its discrete GPU, the current-gen 15inch is great, easily 8 hours of light use. I was able to leave it on all day and use lightly in the office, no issues of the battery dying.

4. ajay96 macrumors 6502

I managed to get 6 1/2 hours out of my 13" rMBP 2015 with the integrated graphics. More than enough for me at least :p