13inch graphics performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rick987611, Nov 4, 2016.

1. rick987611 macrumors member

any idea how smooth to expect the general UI to be when powering the LG 5k display and the internal display on one of the new 13inch MBP with touch bar?

I'm nervous it will stutter due to the intergrated gpu. Any thoughts?

2. dexterie, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016

dexterie macrumors regular

dexterie

I guess that if the 12" rMB can handle it, the 13" MBP can also do it...

3. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

The integrated graphics in the 13" are actually quite powerful for an IGP, roughly on par with the dGPU in the i5 Surface Book. I'd say you'll have no issues at all with a 5k external + internal display.

4. rick987611 thread starter macrumors member

I was just nervous because I remember the original retina iMac being kind of laggy with another monitor hooked up on the non upgraded gpu version. Good to hear I should be good.

5. kwandrews macrumors 6502

Hmmm...we'll see. For now, the 2016 rMB's are limited to 4k at 30Ghz which would be painful. I hope that this one will allow it to run at 60Ghz smoothly.

6. rick987611 thread starter macrumors member

I'd be curious if anyone with the non touch bar version has tried it yet. If it runs smoothly the touch bar version certainly would.

7. rick987611 thread starter macrumors member

Anyone had a chance to give this a whirl yet. I'm ready to pull the trigger on ordering, but I want to be sure it will drive 5k at 60hz and still be smooth in the UI department.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/1...is-good-but-its-missing-all-the-cool-stuff/4/

I saw this in the Ars Technica review of the non-Touch Bar model and it has me a little concerned since I have the Touch Bar model on order and plan to order the 5k LG display. I never run the internal and external displays at the same time like in the article, so maybe I will have better results. I figure if the LG display is laggy, I can always return it.

9. rick987611 thread starter macrumors member

Well that didn't help me decide much, haha. I want to run the 5k and still be able to use the included screen if I want. Who knows. I might love the touch bar and want it for desktop usage.

Sounds like the touch bar version gets a much better iGPU than the non, so it might be just enough to make it smooth.