13inch NTB macbook for lightroom

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by carperjosh, Nov 21, 2016.

1. carperjosh macrumors member

Hi,

im looking at getting a new laptop. It will be used for general tasks, web browsing, itunes, documents and lightroom. I am worried that the 13inch NTB macbook pro 2.0ghz 8gb ram wont handle these tasks. Has anyone got this model and ran lightroom on it with no lag?

2. Fozzybadfeet macrumors 6502

Fozzybadfeet

I have the non-touch MBP with 16gb RAM and running Lightroom 5.7 with ease.

I know you're looking for input from folks that have the base model, just wanted to give you my experience on my end.

A lot of folks on here have said that 8GB is more than enough RAM, though.

3. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

I run LR on the previous generation MBPro which according to the benchmarks is slower than the non-touch 13". But there was a post from someone saying that the non-touch couldn't run LR very well.

I'm not sure if that was a special case for some reason though. It would seem odd that it would have difficulty with it unless it's heavily throttling.

4. dlbmacfan macrumors regular

I am a pro photographer and currently run LR on a 2013 MBA. It's not too swift but it gets the job done. I have a new maxed out 13" MBP arriving on Monday; that should speed things up considerably.

5. carperjosh thread starter macrumors member

Please report back with what it's like real world

6. Fedevek macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm a photographer and I use a 13" non tb macbook. I had an event to shoot a couple of days ago and had to edit several hundred photos on this machine without any major hiccup. I have the standard 8gb ram config and I find it pretty much perfect for the job.

7. carperjosh thread starter macrumors member

That's great news I was considering the 16gb upgrade for better performance but won't bother if it's not needed.

8. Fedevek macrumors newbie

I don't really see it as mandatory and i didn't want to wait for the BTO to be ready tbh, I've been waiting for this Mac for a while! 8 gb should be plenty, system knows how to manage the ram so why bother? of course 16gb would be better because more ram is always better but I don't really see the value of it unless you are doing multiple layer/ complex editing in photoshop, which is not my case since I'm majorly working on LR and sometimes some minor retouch in photoshop with 3-5 layer max.