13inch or 15inch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gan6660, Jun 8, 2009.

1. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Well, before todays updates I was set on a 2.4 macbook, because I didnt have another $400 for the Pro. But now the 15inch is only $200 more than the 13inch. I really like the bigger screen but is portability affected?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

At least the decision is easier for you this time around. The only major difference would be the screen size. RAM you could upgrade to 8GB in either model and the processor speed, the 15-inch is faster but it's not a huge difference and there isn't a 9600M GT in the low end 15-inch. I would opt for the 15-inch, can't tolerate the 1280x800 resolution. 1440x900 isn't something to brag about but find it more tolerable.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It depends, where are you carrying your notebook? I have to admit I carried a PowerBook (heavy by today's standards) around airports, two college campuses, etc and was great. Now that I have an Air I think the best I'd do is 13" on a MB... now MBP.

My advice is 13" with external display at home

4. youpey macrumors member

if you can afford the 2k one, get that one. it has the 9600gt card where the lower ends dont

5. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

Ill be getting the high end 13inch pro or the low end 15inch pro. Both have the same processor speed, 4gb ram and the same graphics card and I would upgrade both to a 500gb hard drive. Its really jusy comes done to screen size and I am leaning towards the 15inch. The graphics card isnt a big deal to me since I dont play many computer games and the ones I do play work on my brothers $349 Toshiba.

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

my personal opinion is go for the bigger screen. im mean you are only talking about a 1lb difference in weight and 2 in difference in width. so unless you have a bag that wont fit the 15" why not get it.:confused:

7. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Get the 13" and a separate screen. I have never ever switched over to the 9600, on any of my machine yet. I love the form size and now with all these updates the 12" powerbook can R.I.P

8. dmkemick macrumors member

Get the 15". A few folks have suggested the 13" with an external display but a good-sized display will run you more than your $200 limit.

9. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

If I did go with the 13inch macbook I wouldnt need an external monitor because I have a 20inch iMac. I keep going back and forth. Now I am leening towards the 13inch. Thing is the 13inch will do exactly what i want it for and I dont have alot of money. I will be wanting the psp go later this year and maybe the zune hd as well. I think I will go with the 13inch since I also have to factor in the $230 for the touch. (which ill get bac but I still have to pay upfront) I am still in high school so the 13inch would be perfect to bring there once in a while.

PS: I am getting the free touch with my cousins discount since he is in college.

10. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

i personally like the 13" better, just seems more portable, or at least leaves more room in my bag when toting it around :)

i'd say 13"

11. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

Not only the resolution. I'm also interested if adding "Pro" to the 13 inch name would also mean a higher quality display similar to its 15 inch cousins . Yes, I know that Apple upgraded the aluminum/white Macbook displays a couple of weeks ago but it was still not as good as the 15 inch display in quality. I'd love to get the 13 incher but I will wait a bit for people to give the impression of how good the panels are before I pull out my wallet. :)

PS. Looks like Apple claims 60% higher color gamut for even the 13 inch. Interesting! I hope that is just not marketing.

12. mrrippey macrumors regular

+1 for bigger screen and higher resolution, +1lb difference and +$200 more....ok by me.

13. Canuckistan macrumors member

Such a personal (difficult) decision

I have used a 12.1 inch iBook actually on my lap daily for 8 years. It sat on one of those senior's dinner trays... The ones with a bag of thousands of styrofoam pellets in the undercarriage. Adhesive rubber webbing stopped the iBook from sliding around on the tray surface.

I digress.

Sure there were times when I would have liked more real estate, but overall I like the size and weight of the iBook.

For the last week I've had a 15.4 inch Powerbook (5.5 lbs) on my lap. Yes a larger screen is nice, but I can feel the weight... I am aware of the weight. For me, the added weight (and size) is mildly uncomfortable.

It's a tough one, but I'm veering to the 13.3 inch MBP.

14. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

The 15 in. is very portable. I take mine everywhere. No issues at all. :D

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I struggled over this decision back in October and the main deciding factor for me was the dual GPU. Regardless if the word Pro was at the end of MacBook, i wanted a machine that would handle what I through at it now, and the future.

For the record, while I got the MBP for the second GPU and I use Aperture which needs a powerful GPU, I find the integrated GPU is more then adequate. My point is that the 13" is a great buy and if you don't need the power of the 9600m or the screen size, get the 13" model.

16. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Well said maflynn. Buy what you need. :D

17. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

yes, the 13" MB Pro is going to attract many who've wanted a faster machine in a 13" frame.

If you're okay with a 13" monitor when you're away from your desk and have an external monitor to connect to when necessary then get the 13" for sure.

But, if you're away from your desk a lot and want more screen real estate and higher resolution then the 15" is the way to go... but you have to accept trade off of a heavier bulkier machine...

Personally, I think 13" notebooks regardless of the brand have (quietly) soared in popularity, 'thin and light' is in ... many opted or researched netbooks because of that ... and many determined the quality/screen/keyboards where no good .... so 13 inch machines are getting more attention than they used to.

Now, in Apple World with the 13" being a 'Pro' now many people who where going to buy the 15" will consider the new 13" MacBook Pro...

The 13" MacBook Pro will take sales away from the 15" MacBook Pro and the MacBook Air I'm sure.... it's the balance of *Power and Portability* :D

Damn, now I want one, LOL ... Hey anyone interested in a 15" MBP and a revB MBA in my signature, LOL....

18. MacFever macrumors regular

MacFever

I'm in the same boat as the original poster...

I want portability/thin/light without sacrificing power/features like the MBA.

I'm leaning alot to the 13.3" mbp and I think I'll pair it with a LED 24" Cinema Display.

great combination...

a 15.4" is tempting for the extra GPU power and more L2 cache but It would be 1 pound more and 2" bigger indeed.

19. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I think the best deal is the refurb 2.4 uni MBP for $1349. Only $150 more than the new 13" MBP and still has the expresscard slot.

I'm saying bye bye to my 1 month old white 09 MB.

Cheers,

20. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

Ok so I have decided on the lower end 13inch macbook pro. I decided that i really didnt need the extra .17 proccessing speed. Now I am defintetly getting 4gb ram, but I have to decide is it worth the extra $165 for the 500gb hard drive? Or should I just spend $45 for the 250gb?

21. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

buy a hard drive off newegg or somewhere and DIY.

22. MattMK45 macrumors regular

I find the 15" screen fits perfectly in between the 13" and the 17". Obviously by simple calculation, but I find, whenever I see the macbook 13" or now macbook pro 13" in the apple store, I find it a bit too small and the 17" too large to shift about without it getting in the way. Sum up your needs for the machine, then stack them up to each other.

23. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

If you plan on gaming, you'll need the 15" with the VRAM. Otherwise a 13" will suit you just fine.

24. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

22" HD dell under $200, but i would get the 15 and the monitor

25. mrrippey macrumors regular

I've been going back and forth so I will goto an Apple store this weekend with my bag and see which one I rather carry around. I think the 15" will win but 4.5 vs 5.5 pounds is a big difference (I carry a gateway tabletPC which is a brick)