13inch Pro Users, why did you choose the Pro over the Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ethics101, Dec 11, 2011.

1. ethics101 macrumors regular

I am leaning towards the air at the moment after realizing I won't be missing the superdrive. Were the processor speeds significant for you guys? Is the battery life better in real world testing (I don't trust the review sites).

2. happle macrumors 6502a

depends what you will use the computer for. if normal browsing, documents, music, etc...then id say get the air. if any pro apps like music production, photo or video editing then id say get the 15" pro.

you won't notice much of a difference in cpu speeds unless you use pro apps like i stated. with that being said the air is plenty powerful enough for any day to day use and even can handle certain pro tasks.

3. ahdickter macrumors 6502

^this. Even watching video should be fine with the air. For most people, the air is plenty of power.

4. randomrazr macrumors 65816

true say for the peeps above me

but the pro is upgradable

the air is not

5. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

I purchased an MBP before the new Airs but even today I couldn't settle with an MBA because of storage.
    I can't wait for the day I can get an MBA with a TB or even half-TB SSD that's not going to cost my eyeballs. I'm really curious when is that going to happen.

6. Spencie macrumors regular

Spencie

Agreed. I got the MBP because I knew i would need to do some video editing. If you only need to do some internet surfing, documents and other light things, i would definitely go with the MacBook Air. Its much more portable and easier to take around. It all depends on what your going to use it for.

7. ethics101 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. I was specifically thinking about the 13 inch because I feel the >15 inch Pro's are for power usage.

So far it seems that storage is the main gripe with the air. I can deal with that, but I really like the glass covered Pro Screen...

My needs are light usage. ( Windows 7 - Excel, Access, Word. OSX - Video, Youtube, Facebook, Hulu)

8. sfoalex macrumors 6502

Yeah, if your needs are light, the air is awesome. I have an Air and a MBP. I still marvel at how light-weight the air is. It is a remarkable computer.

9. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

You would be fine with either, But if you like the look of the pro, go with that.

10. Nychot macrumors 6502a

I bought an air and returned it and got a 13" mba. I found the 11 inch air flimsy with a mushy keyboard and a too small screen. i did look at the 13 inch air and weighed it against the attributes of the mbp. and i felt the bigger air was too bare bones. And the mbp didnt seem that much heavier. Mbp over air on all grounds.

11. Gillespie81 macrumors regular

air was to thin. the pro can be upgraded, nice and solid, needed opti-drive and the ports. plus got student discount so it was a good deal for what i needed

12. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

MAXIMUM SPEED! And 8GB RAM and DVD movies

...I lied about the last one :D

13. bjm2660 macrumors 6502

RAM to 8GB

Backlit keyboard (Backlit Air was not released yet)

Quicker processor (Sandy Bridge Air not released yet)

More storage and more growing room (more storage down the road)

In three years if this thing is still running hard but solid, I'll remove the optical drive and put in an SSD. I'll effectively have an air in every way except form factor and weight.

14. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

i chose the pro over the air because of expandability. wider selection of ssd drives, better selection of ram upgradability, and the option of adding a second hard drive in the optical bay. and further more the pro is cheaper than than the air of similar spec.

15. VMMan macrumors 6502a

I was using my MBA 11" almost all the time over my early 2011 MBP 17" until I installed an SSD and replaced the optical with a HDD.

The MBA is an awesome machine, but a tricked out MBP is awesome too.

I'd say for your needs, you would be better off with an MBA.

16. salacious macrumors 6502a

for me the Air shouldnt exist, its basically a normal laptop apple style, i have the MBP which is needed for PRO apps, and suitably so, either get the MBP or just get a normal windows laptop for £200 if your justifying the air being able to load a word document 2 seconds faster for an extra £4-500 then your a fool, i love apple products but not even im that stupid, but of course if your rich and got the money to spend then why not, otherwise go pro.

FYI i bought the MBP for final cut and logic, with all my software/hardware the air would dissapear into thin AIR...

17. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Whatever, dude...
    The fact that something applies to your specific case never makes it an universal objective truth.

18. salacious macrumors 6502a

*FOR ME* <--- see that there, its called an opinion.. you should get used to it i heard they're used often..

19. Heavertron macrumors regular

Cost for me. The MBA is significantly more expensive.

20. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Upgradability, as others have said.. RAM etc
    Durability, the MBP seems like it would take a bit more of a beating than the MBA.
    Performance, the MBP packs a bit more of a punch than the MBA.

21. smbm macrumors newbie

For me it came down to a single issue. The Air has no Kensington lock port.

I realise it's only a deterrent but I have to leave my laptop in the public view for long periods from time to time. Occasionally unsupervised. The Air was just too frightening a prospect as it is also so portable.

I am VERY happy with the 13" MBP.

22. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Personally the 13" MBP isn't a computer I'd ever own; it'd be the Air if I was buying that size as I just don't think there's enough in the 13" MBP to justify that extra bulk. I think if Apple could fit dedicated graphics into the 13" MBP then it'd be a much stronger proposition.

23. WarpSpawn macrumors member

Cost and some reservations about the screen quality on the Air.

But as it turns out, I am also making use of the optical drive and the extra hard drive space, at least in the short term whilst I rip my DVD collection as this thing has a much better CPU than my Windows desktop PC at present.

I aso prefer the black bezel and glass on the screen, though I may change my mind if I use it somewhere that causes more reflections.

24. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I frequently run VM's, and can't bump the Air to any appreciable amount of memory to do so.

That brought up the larger issue of no real user upgradeable components in the MBA subsequently the decision for a Pro vs Air

My computing needs don't require heavy graphics so the 13" was just fine. 16gb of mem and a 240gb SSD and it's all I need.

25. mrsavage1 macrumors regular

Basically those who choose pro like me wanted a work machine. There's no way 4gb ram and 256 ssd is sufficient for graphic/movie/web/... artists. Air is good if they could increase the hd space and the ram. If there was ever a model at 320gb and 8gb ram i would purchase it if it isn't too expensive.