13inch rMBP Resale value

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nomura, Oct 23, 2013.

1. nomura macrumors newbie

My apple computers never last me more than 2 years, because I sell my "old" mac and buy the new model, all the time (Yes, I'm one of those). The rMBP 13" would be my secondary computer, for a light text processing/browsing and some VM as well.

I'm a big believer that the base model always holds the most value when trying to sell it, and I always get base. However, I'm having a hard time figuring out if the 4GB won't be enough in 1-2 years when I sell it, and I'd be better off with the 8/256 $1499 model.

I think with 4GB of ram and 128GB ssd, I'll be completely fine for my daily use. I just want to know if these limited specs will be a huge problem when trying to sell it.

It's the first time I'm seriously thinking in not getting the base model and going for the 1499$, if only for resale value.

What is your opinion?

2. Aylan macrumors regular

Aylan

When you are ready to sell in a couple of years, you will not get $200 more just because you have 8GB and 256. You are looking at a $50 premium, maybe. Also, by then the base configs may come with 8GB and 256GB as standard.

I'd say go with the base and save your money. Apple's gear always has the best resale value when they are base configs.

3. nomura thread starter macrumors newbie

But 4GB of RAM in 2015 might be a huge drawback for potential customers...

Maybe BTO the base model with 8GB at $1399 is the right choice?