13''macbook Pro Don't Find The Externel Hd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matin78, Jul 1, 2009.

1. matin78 macrumors newbie

Just Bought 13''macbook Pro.i Have One Maxtor Mini Usb Portable Hd.
    When I Tried To Attach This With My Mac It Don't Show Up.also Tried Bootcamp With Xp Same Here.it's Fine With My Vista Desktop.there Is Three Partition In My Maxtor Hd,one Partition Is Ntsc Formatted Other Two Is Fat32.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Have you checked with Disk Utility?
    Go to Utilities -> Disk Utility
    See if it shows at all in the left column and try to mount from there

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

RE: 13"macbook Pro Don't Find The External Hd

RE:
    "Just Bought 13''macbook Pro.i Have One Maxtor Mini Usb Portable Hd.
    When I Tried To Attach This With My Mac It Don't Show Up.also Tried Bootcamp With Xp Same Here.it's Fine With My Vista Desktop.there Is Three Partition In My Maxtor Hd,one Partition Is Ntsc Formatted Other Two Is Fat32."

I'm assuming that by "portable", it's a 2.5" drive in a mini-case, right?

Are you sure that the drive is "spinning up" fully when you plug it in?

Apple's USB specification provides less power to the USB ports than does the PC spec of USB. The upshot is that when you plug in a portable USB drive, it may or may NOT have enough power to fully spin up and mount the drive on the desktop.

The impression one might get is that the drive "isn't working", but this isn't the case. It's just that the drive isn't getting enough power.

For this reason, you will see "double" or "Y" cables with which to connect portable USB drives to the Mac. They might have a single connector on the drive end, and _two_ usb connectors on the "computer end". Or, there might be separate connecting cables: one to the drive's power port to USB, and another to the drive's data port to USB.

An inconvenience - yes - but that's the way it is.

Another thought:
    Plug in the drive, listen to it to see if it spins up. If it sounds ok, now open Apple's Disk Utility. Does it see the drive? What does it say?

Possible workarounds to get to your data:
    - If you determine that the problem is a "power" one, and you can't find the correct cables, you might consider buying another external enclosure and migrating the drive into that enclosure. I would suggest looking for a 2.5" enclosure that has BOTH USB2 _and_ firewire connections.
    - If the Maxtor mini has a SATA drive inside, you could pick up one of the USB "docking stations" that accept either 2.5" or 3.5" "bare drives", and try that.

- John