14.4 mbps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pastelsoda, Oct 15, 2011.

1. pastelsoda macrumors member

anybody getting at least somewhat near 14.4 mbps like apple said? I get it it has to do with the carrier and the area your living in, but I live in Cupertino where apple is at, and verizon.

Im getting 2.09mbps download 0.89 upload

2. jeffsaha macrumors member

I'm pretty sure AT&T is not based in Cupertino. From what I know, they are based in Dallas :)

3. pastelsoda thread starter macrumors member

oh, that makes sense if thats how they tested it..i thought apple would of tried to test their product on their home ground..but still! Im little disappointed I'm not even getting half of what they said..its not like i live in the farm lands or anything

4. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

5. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

The only carrier supporting HSDPA on the iPhone 4S is AT&T. I wouldn't expect that you'd get 14.4 with Verizon no matter where you're located. Too bad, really.

6. Smtevo macrumors 6502

Just because it says 14.4 doesn't mean you are going to get anything near that.

7. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Verizon's 3G network tops out at 3Mbps. There's a reason why the AT&T ads have said for years "the nation's fastest 3G network". Of course, Verizon's LTE will smoke the snot out of AT&T's 3G, but we all have to wait for a lower power LTE radio before Apple will put one in their phone (which I expect for next year).

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

CDMA networks like Verizon and Sprint will continue to be capped at the theoretical rate of 3.1 or 3.2mbps at the physical link layer, which due to protocol overhead for reliable transmission (see network topology layers) will result in a max of around 2mbps at the application link layer.

You're getting extremely good speeds actually, maxing out device/network capability there.

GSM carriers like ATT and TMobile with HSPA+ network is what can do 14.4mbps theoretical at physical link layer. User might see, and I'm only guessing, application layer speeds of around 6-10mbps.

One person on ATT has already posted 9.xx mbps speedtest.

9. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

I'm getting a little over 3 downloading on 3G.

Attached Files:

10. jeffpickl macrumors member

I was getting 5mps down and 800-900kbps up last night. Going out around town to see if there are any faster areas today.

At times I see faster speeds on it than on my wifi... Thankfully I have unlimited data still and might use it more often.

11. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

14.4 is the maximum theoretical bandwidth, but I doubt, even under the perfect circumstances that you would get those speeds. It's sort of like wireless g being 54mbps but you will never get that kind of speed, regardless of the conditions or connections.

12. big samm macrumors 65816

13. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

While I usually get a decently strong signal here, I just got some weird results...lol.

I ran the first test over 3G...I got 2.13 down, 1.04 up and 148 ping.

2nd test was over WIFI and I got...1.90 down, .24 up and 46 ping.

That's insane that I'm getting faster results over 3G than WIFI! WTH? On average, over 3G before the 4S (3GS), I would typically get around 1-2 down and less than 1 up, so it's definitely faster.

14. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

And thats probably pretty much max up and down its capable of. Hot!

15. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

At one point I got 5.76MB. Pretty good, but I'm not sure if that's standard already for most people? I don't usually get speeds like that.

Yesterday night, it was hilarious... I did a speed test and I was reaching 14+MB and I couldn't believe my eyes,

then I realized I was on Wifi...

16. Brazzy macrumors regular

this

17. AVonGauss macrumors regular

Eh, I wouldn't make that assumption. Tests so far have shown AT&T's LTE network returning higher results, but its a new deployment with a lot less users and POPs. Until mid next year we really won't be able to compare them, nor truly measure the quality of the build out (ala Verizon's association with reliability). Both are using the 700 Mhz band, which should hopefully help with building penetration.

18. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Sorry but you'll never see those kinds of speeds with Verizon

19. barebackbadger8 macrumors 6502

barebackbadger8

I'm with 3 in the uk, and i get 4.9mb!
    well happy with that.
    my moms talk talk home broadband she only get 4.5mb