Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Anybody else having issues with the SD card reader on the new MBP?

I have several SD cards that the MBP does not recognize but when using Apple's USB-C SD Card reader with the same cards the MBP recognizes them no problem.

Any ideas?

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Anybody else having issues with the SD card reader on the new MBP?

I have several SD cards that the MBP does not recognize but when using Apple's USB-C SD Card reader with the same cards the MBP recognizes them no problem.

Any ideas?

I only tried one, and it worked fine (Nikon camera). My only regret is that the SD card reader isn't one of those spring popped ones, where the card could fit all the way in. Then you could add a 1TB card like a second drive for media.

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2006
you should edit the title and make it for both 14" and 16"... my 16" m1 pro SD card does not work either. going back to apple for refund and picking up another one at Best Buy.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I tried 6 cards, including some I hadn't used in 5 years. All worked. All Sandisk, as that is usually all I buy.

Reactions: Rashy

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
I was able to read one of my SD cards on my 16" but it's really slow. Could it be that it's not formatted properly?

UPDATE: Yep, it's a format issue. I tried another and it's fast.

Reactions: jagooch

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I have tried 9 SD cards. When using the MBP SD slot 6 work and 3 do not.
All work when used with the Apple USB-C SD reader. For some reason the dongle is better than the new MBP slot.
The 3 that the MBP cannot read are 128GB cards. The ones that it can read are 64GB.

Reactions: foliovision

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I was able to read one of my SD cards on my 16" but it's really slow. Could it be that it's not formatted properly?
I don't think so as they are all readable via the USB-C SD card dongle.
Also, don't most people format their SD cards in their cameras? (If being used for photography.)

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
I don't think so as they are all readable via the USB-C SD card dongle.
Also, don't most people format their SD cards in their cameras? (If being used for photography.)
I did another test and this time I used a card reader to read the same "slow" card. Strangely enough, it was fast but when I slot it in the MacBook directly it's slow as heck! And yes, I formatted the card in my Olympus OM-D. What's going on here? Do I have a defective card slot or could it just be non-optimized at the moment?

Last edited:
Reactions: karl-os

karl-os

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2021
Same problem here (new 16 inch MacBook Pro). Using older Sandisk 64GB and Panasonic GH5s the built in SD reader is slow as molasses, often fails. With USB-C dongle SD reader, the card works perfectly.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Same problem here (new 16 inch MacBook Pro). Using older Sandisk 64GB and Panasonic GH5s the built in SD reader is slow as molasses, often fails. With USB-C dongle SD reader, the card works perfectly.
Pro Motion is broken in Safari, now this. Apple better get a move on with the fixes. I wonder what else will pop-up in the next coming days...LOL.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Is it more likely a hardware issue or software issue?
Any ideas?
Hate to return the computer and have the same problem...

mag90

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2021
Same issue as others, new 14", I have a Sandisk class 10 32gb, reading whether it's in Finder or on Photos it's super slow, thumbnails are not shown and opening each photo takes a lot of time. I don't have other card at hand to test whether it could be a formatting issue, the card works just fine in the camera.

2Stepfan

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2019
Sheffield
It's very frustrating. I was hoping that import from SD card including preview of images would be quick on my new 14" MBP. I have a fairly new 64GB SD card which had been working fine. But Photos on the MBP using the internal SD card slot takes minutes to show photos and sometimes crashes half way through. Sometimes the Finder crashes too.

-griffy-

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
Having issues on my 16" M1 Max. All SanDisk Extreme SDXC I cards with speeds of 90 MB/s which were formatted in my Sony A7III.

Thought it was a Lightroom Classic problem at first cause I was trying to import photos in but it kept hanging when loading the previews in, or when trying to copy them over. Then realized it seemed to be Finder that was getting borked by the SD card in the slot.

Plugging the camera directly into a USB-C slot and transferring the images over seemed to work fine, but trying to browse or transfer using the SD slot seems hit or miss, with Finder eventually crashing.

In fact, as I type this Finder is not running and not able to be launched.

I have a newer SDXC II card at 300MB/s getting delivered today that I'll try.

EDIT: Further testing seems to show it may be limited to 128GB cards. Every 128GB card I've tried has failed in some way (either not copying photos via Lightroom, or outright causing Finder to hang/crash), and every 64GB card seems to work fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: bloomberg

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Tried transferring 7GB of files to a Kingston 64GB SDXC 1 and it always failed just right after starting the transfer with an error message code 100060: "The operation can't be completed because an unexpected error occurred."

Although my micro-sd Sandisk card in an adapter is working fine.

This could very well be a software bug.

Reactions: DHagan4755

wildc^t

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2021
Same issues with 14" M1 Pro. Just seems to be super flakey and inconsistent. Half the time it'll recognize the card successfully (though it takes anywhere from 30s to 1m) and half the time it'll throw an error. These are all Sandisk Ultra cards, both XC and HC, that were formatted in my camera. I tried reformatting them w/ the MBP and that didn't seem to make a difference.

All my cards work as expected in my 3 other USB card readers.

I stopped by the genius bar and they seemed to concur. They tried one of my cards in the 4 different computers they had available and reported that one recognized it immediately, one took awhile, and two were not able to recognize it.

They said they hadn't received any kind of bulletin from Apple yet about any issues. They thought it was a software issue that might get resolved with an update. They offered to just replace the machine but I was hesitant to do that given the results of their tests...don't think a new machine is going to make a difference.

Dunno, I have a bit before my return window expires so will see what other info surfaces but that's been my experience so far.

Edit: I have some random 'Netac' branded 8GB HC card that seems to work like a charm, super consistent.

Last edited:

HardBall

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
I only tried one, and it worked fine (Nikon camera). My only regret is that the SD card reader isn't one of those spring popped ones, where the card could fit all the way in. Then you could add a 1TB card like a second drive for media.

That wouls take quite a bit of internal space. There is a reason why thats pretty rare on a laptop.

My only regre

HardBall

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
Whoops, i think the webpage cut off my response, but I was just adding that the only regret about ports is the display output is not something more modern. We are stuck with the ancient , enormous hdmi, thst Nd not even 2.1 . Just a slap in the face.

• Haha
Reactions: Rashy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.