14 day exchange policy on new macs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Leaver, May 13, 2007.

1. Leaver macrumors newbie

Hi there

Just bought a macbook pro and i was wondering if anyone knew what the policy for new products and exchanges - i seem to remember somewhere that if you bought a new mac and apple released a new one less than 14 days later you could exchange it for the newer model - i am probly wrong but there is no harm in tryin (assuming we get santa rosa on tuesday!)

Cheers - Dan

2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Well, it's probably different in the UK, but in the US you could do that, but you'd probably be paying a 10% restocking fee (essentially, you'd return the unit because you'd "changed your mind" and then buy the new one).

3. alexprice macrumors 6502a

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

5. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

If your plan works to get the new model, you will probably end up paying a few hundred dollars to do so.

6. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

iirc think the policy is 10 days or so and it should be on the back of your receipt. but i've heard people getting that period extended by talking to a store manager.

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

check out the terms and cdonditions from the UK store. Looks like it's 14 days;

UK Store

in the USA it's 14 days unless it's built-to-order in which case it's not returnable at all (unless Apple declares it DOA). If you open the box of a stock configuration computer and want to return it, then you get hit with a 10% fee. Here's the USA store policy on returns

USA return policy

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well, there's the 14 day policy to return, unless it's a custom config, but in the US there's a 10 day policy where they'll give you the difference based on what the old model sells for when the new one comes out.

9. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

in the uk you can return any mac, customized or not, for any reason, within 14 days of receiving it. They will ask you to pay for the shipping back to them, which is £60, although if you talk to them and let them know that you aim to buy another model, they usually wave that fee. I know because I have done it myself, when I returned a 20" imac and bought a mbp a month later, the imac was heavily upgraded, and i had no problems returning it!