14 Day Return- Cracked glass?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MacDaddy13, Mar 20, 2011.

1. MacDaddy13 macrumors newbie

I just purchased two iPad 2's on launch day... unfortunately, my son just dropped his and one corner of the screen shattered (glass has fallen out) and sent a crack through the middle.

I just called Apple and they told me the repair cost is $359! Is there any way I can return this under the 14 day rule? Does anyone know of any cheaper repair options- i found one for $159 but the cheaper the better?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I'm fairly certain they will not accept a return for accidental damage.

3. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

This will sound like criticism, but it's a sincere question. How would you expect to return an item under the 14-day rule after your son has broken it? No business in their right mind would take back a product after you yourself have broken it unless it's under a warranty to cover accidents, like SquareTrade's.

4. mayhone1 macrumors regular

I agree, it would be just like you broke it. They have no reason to fix it at their cost due to the fact that the break wasn't a result of a default. On a personal note kids really should Not have iPad's these devices are $500 and up would you let you kid pay with anything else really, that cost that much. Beyond that though, next time just get a screen protector for it and don't let you kid play with it.

Here are a few screen protectors that may work:

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/apple-ipad-2-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php

http://www.iballz.info/

5. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Credit Card purchase?

You may be covered under your credit card.

But no, in no way should Apple be responsible for your accident.

6. funkeruski macrumors regular

I love these posts. Suck it up and buy a new one. Don't let your son get near it.

7. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Use this opportunity to show your son what honesty means and what it means to take responsibility for your actions and not try and get someone else to pay for your mistake.

8. guitardogcar macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Dude. Go to the Apple store. Tell exactly what happened.

My brother dropped mine. Read my post from earlier today.

You may just get a 'get ou of jail free' iPad as I did.

Flamers can flame, but knowledge, humbleness, and honesty go a long way with Apple.

Peace and good luck,

gdc

9. naples09 macrumors member

That's why I use an AMEX card. 90 day replacement if the product is damaged.

10. guitardogcar macrumors member

The products were damaged by human error. That is rarely covered. Cool if you have that, buy credit cards are not the issue. Gimme day 91.

11. guitardogcar macrumors member

Day 91 will be fine. It ain't armeggedon.

iPad1 specs have thicker glass (got a link for the two?), and the CASE is a case. Apple does not manufacture a case for the iPad2.

That is unfortunate, for even if I got lucky, I am buying a protective case from a designer who recognizes the need for Apple's new form factor to have sleek but needed protection from a fall from someone's lap onto anything but concrete.

IMHO,

gdc

12. MasonH macrumors member

---- Well since you are affluent enough to buy your son a $500+ toy I'd simply get it repaired and then do what all good parents do:

Hold it over his head for the rest of his life :D

Anytime you need something from him "remember the time I bought you that big iPod touch?? Then you BROKE it!"

I'd make him work it off for the next ten years.

13. Pottsie1 macrumors newbie

Pottsie1

Do you have a protective case in mind or are you still looking? I liked the Apple iPad1 case, but so far haven't found anything comparable.

14. guitardogcar macrumors member

Looking. I want hands-on, and if not then some suggestions would be great. Just not sure if there isn't a thread for that already.

I just know it will be worth it. Hopefully someone can make on like the iPad 1's. I liked being able to trust the cover.

15. Silent Assassin macrumors member

I won't scold you like everyone else.. You never know, take it in and maybe you'll get a good 'genius' and they'll either take it back or do the repair free.. It's definitely worth a shot.. Good luck..

Also, get Squaretrade Insurance ASAP!! They cover clumsy sons..

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

16. Whozown macrumors newbie

It's no ones fault but your own. Apple shouldn't have to pay for that. You might as well let him drive your car too.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Apple has been known to do that. But it certainly isn't a guarantee.

Agreed. The OP should be honest and accept the consequences.

18. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

go in and be humble and polite ... you may get lucky

19. tpavur macrumors regular

No offence but I have to disagree with you, when my wife and I bought my son his iPad for him it was the best decision we have ever made. Although he is only 2 1/2 years old what is the problem with spending 600+ on a child? is that not why we have kids? I get disappointed when I see parents that have no problem spending money on them; but when it comes to the kid they are quick to justify why they shouldn’t buy it. Even if he broke his iPad today it was worth it for all the road trips we have made where he can enjoy watching toy story. I believe parents that talk like you are the same ones that fail to save money for their kids future as well; on a personal note unless you put away the same amount of money each year systematically for your child that it would take to max an IRA when he is able to open one (has his/her own income) you probably should not be buying these expensive toys. and you should not be maxing his investments unless your maxing your own IRA and contributing to other mutual funds outside of your IRA, buy products for children that are not "old enough" is only 5% of the problem here. When you save to have the things you want there is no stupidity in what you buy.

btw: kids break toys all the time, in a years time i'm sure the average kid has lost or broke over 1000$ in toys a year, so is it the dollar amount that will make you mad when he breaks an iPad or are you mad because it's something you wanted; and see yourself saying "see I knew I should have kept it for myself he doesnt know how to use it properly" my money sas you will be more pissed over a 600$ iPad than an 800$ power wheels if one breaks.

Good job to that dad that saved to buy his son an iPad 2 as noted above.

20. mattg3 macrumors 6502

Surprised to see this thread.Last week gizmodo ran a video on the strength of ipad2 vs. ipad 1 glass.Hitting it with a board and glass suspended between two raised platforms they could not break the ipad 2.If finally broke when it was bent in half but almost had one end touching the other to break it.The ipad 1 broke a lot sooner.

21. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Several people have given the thread starter a bad time about giving his son an iPad. They assumed the son was very young. If I gave an iPad to one of my sons, would you do the same just because I failed to mention his age? The youngest of my four sons is 37 years old. Why don't we limit the discussion to the issue of liability.

22. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

lol ... it would be fair to say ... I doubt the OP's son is in his mid 30s