Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eightytwo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2022
Hi everyone!

A couple of days ago I bought a 14" MB Pro M1 Pro in the 10-core CPU / 16-core GPU configuration, with 32gb of memory. Originally I planned to get a 8-core base model, but my local store had a 10-core in stock and it was a pretty good deal moneywise, so I went for it.

So far I've only used it to transfer files from my old computer and I've done some very basic tasks, listened to some music and set up Logic and Ableton, which is what I'll use it most for (music production and some video stuff). All at about 75% of screen brightness (I wanted to enjoy that beautiful screen).

I've only worked on it for short bursts (an hour here & there) but I've noticed from the very beginning, while I'm working I noticeably see the battery percentage go down slowly. It's not super crazy but still, the battery will drop a percentage every couple of minutes or so. I can't imagine getting the amount of screen time I see some people talk about. Is this normal battery behaviour on the 10-core CPU / 16-core GPU? I'm kind of worried about the battery when I'll actually be doing music sessions.

I checked and it had 3 charge cycles when I first charged it, so that seems perfectly normal.

Thanks in advance for any input on this!

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
I'd give it some time since you transferred your files over. Your Mac is going to be indexing those files for the first 24 hours or so and it will impact battery life. After that you will start seeing great battery life.

Reactions: eightytwo

eightytwo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2022
I'd give it some time since you transferred your files over. Your Mac is going to be indexing those files for the first 24 hours or so and it will impact battery life. After that you will start seeing great battery life.

Thanks for this! Someone just told me as well that battery life will even out after a while after the first days of use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.