Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In addition to today's iTunes Match expansion to Hungary and Poland, Apple has also undertaken a significant expansion of its iTunes in the Cloud feature, adding movies to the list of eligible items in the UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.

itunes_movies_cloud_uk.jpg

We've heard from several UK users who have reported that only a small fraction of their purchased movies are currently shown as eligible for re-download, through iTunes in the Cloud, but Apple indicates that "most" content should be included in the program.

The expansion marks the first time iTunes in the Cloud has been available for movies outside of the United States. The feature provides additional flexibility for those who have purchased movies through the iTunes Store, allowing them to download the content as needed on any computer, iOS device, or Apple TV.

iTunes in the Cloud for music and music videos is available in over 50 countries around the world, and support for TV shows has also been available in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia. Re-downloads of apps and books are permitted throughout Apple's digital store markets.

Update: Steven Troughton-Smith notes that iTunes in the Cloud for movies is also live in Ireland.

Update 2: The feature has also gone live in many of Apple's Latin American markets, including Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, and Venezuela.

Update 3: Many of Apple's Asia-Pacific markets are also included: Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, Brunei, Cambodia, Laos, Macau, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, Sri Lanka and Vietnam.

Update 4: In Europe, the following countries are also seeing iTunes in the Cloud for movies: Czech Republic, Hungary, and Slovakia.

Article Link: Apple Expands iTunes Movies in the Cloud to Over 35 New Countries [Updated]

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It's about time :) I held off on buying any content that I couldn't re-download later. Time to get a few films methinks.

Edit: Oh that's a shame. I can't redownload any redeemed films. Big let down there.

lowonthe456

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
In the US, Fox's movies STILL do not support this. And I have not bought a single Fox movie since becuase they still haven't done it. I have 86 movies purchased from iTunes so far....

MattJessop

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Manchester, UK
YASS.

Seriously, this actually means that there is a major reason for me to want to buy stuff from iTunes over physical. Cause the price so far hasn't been in it's favour to be honest.

Has anybody tested to see if it works with digital copies?

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
I wonder what the hold up is getting this to Germany? Chances are those muppets at GEMA are blocking this because they want more money for the "artists" (i.e. the fat cars at the production companies).

apernett

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
Great

The functionality also appears on iTunes Store Colombia in Latin America. yay Apple! Now, can you please exert your magical powers over TV execs so we can have tv shows as well? And please roll out the iTunes Gift Cards for my country as well. Will be appreciated.

jetison

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2009
Buenos Aires
iTunes Movies in the Cloud has also been expanded to Latin America. I'm from Argentina and I'm currently seeing on the iTunes Store, the banner giving the news.
Terms and Conditions have been updated accordingly.

Schizoid

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2008
UK
I'm sure I've bought a few films in the past... they don't show up... but buying Batman Begins as it's only a fiver!

DraziGuy

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2009
I'm in Canada. Only three of the 13 movies I have purchased are available (Toy Story 1,2,3 which were actually Blu-Ray digital copy redemptions).

Crosbie

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Brighton, UK
Mine's showing 'no purchases' on iPad here in the UK. I've bought a few films straight on iTunes and have a handful of digital copy downloads too.

Egs: Happy-Go-Lucky, The Man Who Fell to Earth, Black Swan, Where the Wild Things Are.

[EDIT]: All good now. :)

Last edited:

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I've been waiting to re-purchase my movie collection in digital form because I didn't want the hassle of backing up. I will do so now.

Unlike TV shows, I rarely watch movies more than once or twice so renting them has been the rule for me. My collection of DVDs is small and limited to my all time favourites. I'll now be buying them on iTunes and selling the discs.

Of note, of the movies that I did purchase, none of them are yet available on my AppleTV so I'm assuming that this change is still being propagated across the system. Fingers crossed that there aren't any studio exceptions.

Tezcatlipoca

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
Cambridge, UK
Has anybody tested to see if it works with digital copies?

I have a digital copy of MI Ghost Protocol that it will let me download :D

Ditto :)

Unfortunately, though, Ghost Protocol is the *only* one of my Digital Copies that's actually available :(

None of my Fox Digital Copies are available (although further up this page it's mentioned that that's still the case in the US)...plus I have stuff from Paramount , Universal, and Warner that's also not available :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.