Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Overg

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2012

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
strange how apple choose to pump out all of their stuff in a 2 months time while the whole year most people just has been waiting in frustration. It's inlogical to me, seems like bad planning.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
They are making up stuff about "inventory adjustments" and blah blah blah, therefore- we're brilliant.

It's like hearing George Soros explain economics, knowing full well he's a feckless intelligence front.

Overg

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2012
strange how apple choose to pump out all of their stuff in a 2 months time while the whole year most people just has been waiting in frustration. It's inlogical to me, seems like bad planning.

it is indeed strange.
but after all they want to aim to the holiday season, and make as much money as they can.
they want to give people holiday they will never forget, with full arsenal of stuff..
that is (probably) the logic behind this idiotic move..

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Considering the delay in 2011 between the MBP refresh and the iMac, these time lines do make sense, unfortunately.

Last edited:

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK

If the stories about manufacturing difficulties are true, then it's possible that Apple didn't necessarily choose this situation, either. Bad planning perhaps, you could argue that they should have a contingency in place to ship spec bumped iMacs with the old screens instead of the anti-glare ones.

IPlayFair

macrumors member
May 12, 2012

I'd say its more about not overtaxing their distribution network. It could also be gamesmanship in that Apple does not want to have all their profits going onto one years books. Apple's financials are done on a fiscal year basis which I believe ended June 30th. Spread the releases across multiple year books. This way the company wont appear to be so rich and it helps with the tax liabilities.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
There will be a price increase in € prices of macs with the new release, so if I was in the shoes of any of our continental European cousins, I would look to splash the cash today and if you don't like what gets released tomorrow, you at least take advantage of last year's exchange rates. If on the other hand anything spectacular gets announced, you can always take your new computer back for a refund and get a new one...

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
The article said maybe September, but the supply chains were pointing to later.

Atisha

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
It's been Maybe's since March. In truth nobody apart from apple probably no. I really think it coud be next year at this rate.

It could be *any time* from now to 2013. I agree.

Why wait until September? Why put your trust in a company which consistently fails?

Around and around and around she goes, when professionals are able to update their computers, nobody knows!!!

Doesn't work for me, see you later Apple.

Overg

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2012
The more I think about it the more I feel that not only its plain stupid from apple side to do it, but also there is no logic in that move.

How the hell it could be that they update the portable line with brand CPU, and leave the pro desktop users in limbo state?

How can a computer company allow themselves to not upgrade the main power horse of the company for the power users, and instead update the toys?

Hakone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2011
Southern California
The more I think about it the more I feel that not only its plain stupid from apple side to do it, but also there is no logic in that move.

How the hell it could be that they update the portable line with brand CPU, and leave the pro desktop users in limbo state?

How can a computer company allow themselves to not upgrade the main power horse of the company for the power users, and instead update the toys?

I'm waiting for an iMac myself but I think Apple is doing more for their mobile product lines than the desktop lines. Sad to say, though. =(

Malone1878

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2012
Basing this off the chart that was posted earlier, what date do you think an iMac would be released during September ? Any previous rumours ?

Lynn Belvedere

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012

Apple is not a computer company, they are a phone/tablet company. The financial data released today makes that perfectly clear. They could announce that they have discontinued all mac's tomorrow and not lose a beat.

sebi247

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
"They could announce that they have discontinued all mac's tomorrow and not lose a beat."

we would finally have clarity and no more :apple: bla bla amazing products bla bla pipeline....

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Apple is not a computer company, they are a phone/tablet company. The financial data released today makes that perfectly clear. They could announce that they have discontinued all mac's tomorrow and not lose a beat.

I would think that discontinuing all the macs would seriously affect the sales of phones and pads... And I think apple knows that too. It's the totality of products that matter. No wonder phones sells more, they cost a lot less than a Mac. I probably buy 3 phones for every person in my household between each iMac I buy.

And still even if macs are only a fraction of the sale it's still billions in profit every year... But it jut disappears between the gazillions they earn on phones and pads.

Rebel Hedgehog

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2012
Northants
Basing this off the chart that was posted earlier, what date do you think an iMac would be released during September ? Any previous rumours ?

Well if you are to believe that chart it did state "going into production" in September, not released. I do feel if the only notable difference is the screen and USB 3 then is it really worth the continual wait?

Malone1878

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2012
Well if you are to believe that chart it did state "going into production" in September, not released. I do feel if the only notable difference is the screen and USB 3 then is it really worth the continual wait?

i7 Processors, possibly better graphic cards and USB 3 (Not that important). I need an iMac before the end of September I just hope I get a surprise :/ If not I'm paying full price for over a year old hardware. :(

Reaktor5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
As for the iMac, Kuo believes a refreshed model could debut close to the end of September but qualifies the statement by saying indicators from the supply chain point to a later release. Shipments of Apple's desktop products will dip in July due to inventory adjustments but are expected to dramatically rise in August as the new iMac starts shipping out from factories.

Seems like scattershot to cover every timeframe from August to 'a later release.'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.