Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today quietly expanded the available configuration options for the Retina MacBook Pro, now offering a full slate of individual upgrade options on the base model that starts at $2199. Previously, customers who opted for the base model were locked into a 2.3 GHz Core i7 processor and 256 GB of flash storage, with the only configurable onboard option being a $200 RAM upgrade from 8 GB to 16 GB. Customers looking to boost either the CPU or storage were required to step up to the high-end $2799 model, which offers both a 2.6 GHz i7 processor and 512 GB of storage, with additional upgrades beyond that.

Apple is now offering all available upgrades on the low-end model, giving customers full control over their configuration needs. For example, users who want to upgrade storage on the low-end model can now do so with 512 GB ($500) and 768 GB ($1000) standalone options that do not also require an upgraded CPU. Similarly, users interested in boosting the base 2.3 GHz CPU to the 2.6 GHz chip can now do so on the base model for just $100 without having to step up the full $600 to the high-end model with both CPU and storage upgrades.

retina_macbook_pro_full_customization.jpg

Apple continues to quote 1-2 week shipping estimates for the Retina MacBook Pro as the company continues to try to keep up with demand.

Update: Some readers have noted that selection of the new CPU and storage options on the low-end model does not seem to register with the online store system. Typically, changing options results in live updating of the price and shipping estimates during the configuration process, but changes to the CPU and storage are not having that effect. Consequently, customers are unable to place orders with these new custom configurations on the low-end model.

Update 2: Within minutes, Apple has now pulled the new configuration options entirely, once again leaving RAM as the only available onboard hardware upgrade for the low-end model.

Update 3: There are now conflicting reports on whether or not the new options have been pulled. Many readers are reporting still seeing the options and are able to add the configurations to their shopping carts, while others viewing the same pages are not seeing the new options.

Update 4: The new configuration options are now appearing more consistently, and Apple has also added the ability to have individual iWork apps preinstalled. With the move to the Mac App Store, it is not difficult for users to obtain the apps on their own, but some customers will undoubtedly prefer to have their machines as ready to go as possible upon delivery.

Article Link: Apple Expands Build-to-Order Configuration Options on Retina MacBook Pro [Updated]

DarlokDC

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2009
Anyone else annoyed this comes after they ordered their base level rRMBP w/upgraded RAM? Definitely would've bumped the processor at those prices, too. :(

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Still needs a 2GB GPU/Card on this thing...

Anyone else annoyed this comes after they ordered their base level rRMBP w/upgraded RAM? Definitely would've bumped the processor at those prices, too. :(

That's why you always wait on something this new...

raejae

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2003
Error

Has anybody actually tried to use these?

I tried to option out a low-end macbook pro, and the CPU and SSD options did not change my total price, and were not reflected when I added the machine to my cart.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
Man, I was just about to submit this! I've been checking apple.com every day waiting for the "ship-to-store" option to be available.

...still no go on that btw. Probably not until lead times drop to normal levels.

EDIT: You can also get iWork preinstalled now too.

Last edited:

DarlokDC

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2009
Still needs a 2GB GPU/Card on this thing...

That's why you always wait on something this new...

When's the last time Apple did something like this, though? I can't recall them ever changing custom configuration options, especially so soon on the heels of a product release.

Dainin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2009

Me too. I didn't really have an option of waiting though. My previous MacBook Pro got destroyed right before the announcement, even waiting a week for my 2.3ghz 16gb ram unit was very difficult.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
about time..and about time to let me configure gpu on the base cMPB, too..512mb is ridiculous!

paulro

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
$1000 for a 768GB SSD upgrade ???

Unbelievable price!

In the UK, SSDs seem to be hovering around the 50p/Gig mark currently.

So if you buy from Apple, you're paying $1.30 per gig and losing the stock drive in the process.

EDIT: Just looked at the UK site and it's £800 for the 768GB upgrade. So only double what I'd expect to pay at £1.04 per gig. Bargain!!

Last edited:

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I was mad for a minute, but when I thought about it I realized i really don't need the upped processor. I would get the more storage, but not for 500 bucks. So really this doesn't change much for me. But I see why people would be mad.

Edit: Well apparently it's gone now.

raejae

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2003
Has anybody actually tried to use these?

I tried to option out a low-end macbook pro, and the CPU and SSD options did not change my total price, and were not reflected when I added the machine to my cart.

Aaaaaand it's gone.

Tastydirt

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
So now you can upgrade to the 512GB SSD on the base model, except you only save $100 and get a slower CPU. Honestly, if you're paying this much for a laptop a faster CPU for $100 is probably worth paying.

TheByrus

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Arlington, TX
Apple made sure to wait that most, if not all, early adopters were past the 14 day return window before releasing this update.

Sketchy business for sure.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
My guess is this is a function of availability of supply, and they will make the options available soon. Note that they also had the Thunderbolt Firewire adapter briefly available and then pulled it. Perhaps the site was programmed with a script to make them available 8/1/12 during normal site maintenance, and then they were manually pulled this morning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.