Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iDutchman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 9, 2010
Amsterdam, NL
Hi,

I have this weird software issue with my MacBook Pro Retina. It does not matter which wallpaper I use as my background (via system preferences --> desktop & screensavers) because every time I turn it off and on, it shows one of the Apple wallpapers (the one with the birds standing in the water).

When I then look up which wallpapers is used, it shows the one I used myself (but in the background a different one).

Bottomline:

No matter which wallpaper I use for my desktop, I will default to an Apple standard wallpaper when the MacBook Pro reboots.

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Yep. Same issue here. Deleting Finder.plist doesn't fix it. Nor did reinstalling the OS. You'll just have to wait until Apple releases a software update to fix the problem. :)

cloudyo

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
I think it has something to do with FileVault 2 being enabled, because this only started after i had encrypted the SSD.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Funny you bring this up. My mid-2012 15" cMBP retains the wallpaper setting on desktop 1 but it "forgets" it on desktop 2 (2 open when I log in). I'm on 10.8.2 with all the updates. My work-issued early-2011 13" MBP remembers the settings for both desktops, also on 10.8.2.

tooch196

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2012
Cali
desktop background issues!!

I also just recently started having this problem tried reseting the smc that didnt work. it always reverts back to some other desktop background. any ideas?

tooch196

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2012
Cali
I never even use solid color backgrounds anyways. Plus why would the not randomize it it always goes back to the elephant picture.

Blue604

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
i can confirm about this wallpaper issue that wallpaper setting doesn't save.

I had exchanged 4 retina macbook pros, and this wallpaper issue existed only in one of them. I did migration from time capsule on all 4 rmbp. I still don't know why this only happened in one of them, but I can confirm this does not happen in every rmpb.

ps: i returned rmbp at the end due to IR.

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
Worst case: a clean OSX install fixes the issue.
Something definitely gets messed up on OSX settings at one point in time.

I was experiencing the same on my late 15" MBP, but the issue disappeared after a clean install ( a few days ago - I had to do the clean install because I was giving my notebook to my girlfriend ).

iDutchman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 9, 2010
Amsterdam, NL
Worst case: a clean OSX install fixes the issue.
Something definitely gets messed up on OSX settings at one point in time.

I was experiencing the same on my late 15" MBP, but the issue disappeared after a clean install ( a few days ago - I had to do the clean install because I was giving my notebook to my girlfriend ).

Well, that's the whole point. The rMBP endured a clean install of Mountain Lion twice already. It didn't work, both times!

It works as smooth as butter for everthing else.

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
Well, that's the whole point. The rMBP endured a clean install of Mountain Lion twice already. It didn't work, both times!

It works as smooth as butter for everthing else.

After the clean install, did you back up stuff from TimeMachine or somewhere else? Clean install doesn't help if you migrate corrupted / messed up files back to the freshly installed OS... My hunch is that you're doing something like that.

AppleMacFinder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2009
how do I do a clean install ? noob ? i know first mac I've had Thanks cheers

Seriously, using Google is easier and faster than asking people and waiting for answer.

1) Make a Mountain Lion Bootable Installation USB:
arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/how-to-create-a-bootable-backup-mountain-lion-install-disk/

2) Backup your files

3) Boot from USB

4) Wipe everything with Disk Utility by formating your harddrive

5) Start Mac OS X Installation and follow the on-screen instructions

iDutchman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 9, 2010
Amsterdam, NL
After the clean install, did you back up stuff from TimeMachine or somewhere else? Clean install doesn't help if you migrate corrupted / messed up files back to the freshly installed OS... My hunch is that you're doing something like that.

No, a clean install means 'clean' ;). No restore whatsoever.

I honestly don't know what to do next to resolve this issue.

- clean install
- PRAM and SMC reset
- removing apple.com.finder.plist and apple.com.desktop.plist already.
- login out, logging in. bla bla.

I've done it all.

Issue was also persistent in OSX Lion.

Upgraded to the latest!

I'm just wondering if other people with rMBP's got this problem resolved? It's clearly not a normal software issue. And, as far as I know, I can't think of any other method to resolve this.

It's also not so important to get the machine replaced under warranty. Especially since it has a Samsung SSD/screen.

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
Well, I for one think it's software issue.

I have not encountered this on my rMBP, but I did run into it on my late 15" cMBP. It didn't happen from the very start, it was actually working fine for months... only lately ( 2-3 months ago ) it happened. A nasty workaround would be to just download the wallpaper you want, rename it to Galaxy.jpg ( since this is the default wallpaper the OS is looking for ) and overwrite the default one in the Library folder ( I suggest keeping a copy of the original too ).

As I've already mentioned, a clean install solved the issue for me... I did not back up any settings or similar from a Time Machine after the install, nor did I start deleting .plists or anything. Has been working just fine since ( latest OS, etc. etc. ).

iDutchman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 9, 2010
Amsterdam, NL
Well, I for one think it's software issue.

I have not encountered this on my rMBP, but I did run into it on my late 15" cMBP. It didn't happen from the very start, it was actually working fine for months... only lately ( 2-3 months ago ) it happened. A nasty workaround would be to just download the wallpaper you want, rename it to Galaxy.jpg ( since this is the default wallpaper the OS is looking for ) and overwrite the default one in the Library folder ( I suggest keeping a copy of the original too ).

As I've already mentioned, a clean install solved the issue for me... I did not back up any settings or similar from a Time Machine after the install, nor did I start deleting .plists or anything. Has been working just fine since ( latest OS, etc. etc. ).

I actually run this using the galaxy method for all these months now. But it still bugs me, of course.

photographypro

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
American in Pisa (Italy)
Are you guys really happy with the Retina MBP?

Okay, this may be a bit off-topic, but as an owner of a late 2011 MacBook Pro, I guess I'm not seeing the benefits of the retina. I have 16 GB of RAM, which you can't get with the retina. I also have a 750 GB momentous XT Drive, which you can't get a drive of that capacity with the retina, and I have about 90% of the speed of the solid-state drive, combined with large capacity. As a photographer, I frequently burn DVDs for my customers of photos and slideshows, which you lose with the retina. Yes, I know that you can have an external drive, but that kind of defeats the purpose of portability. Also, after looking at the retinas in the Apple Store, everything on the screen is so tiny. And after upgrading the RAM and the hard drive, I was still under $2000.

And then to top it all off, I constantly read of incompatibilities and problems with the retina, like this issue. Maybe the retina is "not quite ready for primetime"?

Thoughts?

iDutchman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 9, 2010
Amsterdam, NL
UPDATE:

I moved all the pictures to the /Library/Desktop Pictures. Then, the system organises them as if they were standard Apple wallpapers.

If I change the background wallpaper and reboot, the system will be completely off guard (and I will not hear a boot chime, it boots without chime). And it still used the other background.

BUT:

If I change the background and reboot (while rebooting, I do a PRAM reset), it will keep the picture that I set as a background. It's seems that a PRAM reset is needed every time to hear the boot chime again and make the wallpaper change permanent.

EDIT: Now it seems I will never hear the boot chime when I reboot. Seems like a PRAM reset is needed every time to hear the chime. (although the system functions normally, other than the chime)

Last edited:

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
Okay, this may be a bit off-topic, but as an owner of a late 2011 MacBook Pro, I guess I'm not seeing the benefits of the retina. I have 16 GB of RAM, which you can't get with the retina. I also have a 750 GB momentous XT Drive, which you can't get a drive of that capacity with the retina, and I have about 90% of the speed of the solid-state drive, combined with large capacity. As a photographer, I frequently burn DVDs for my customers of photos and slideshows, which you lose with the retina. Yes, I know that you can have an external drive, but that kind of defeats the purpose of portability. Also, after looking at the retinas in the Apple Store, everything on the screen is so tiny. And after upgrading the RAM and the hard drive, I was still under $2000.

And then to top it all off, I constantly read of incompatibilities and problems with the retina, like this issue. Maybe the retina is "not quite ready for primetime"?

Thoughts?

How did you make all that up? :rolleyes:

- 15" rMBP can be configured to have 16GB Ram... read up before making false assumptions.
- both 13" and 15" rMBPs can be equipped with a 768GB SSD... again, read up on things.

Of course no machine / device is perfect and they can never fit EVERYONE's needs.
... if you don't like them or can't justify getting one, then DON'T. Get something else.

photographypro

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
American in Pisa (Italy)
I stand corrected

How did you make all that up? :rolleyes:

- 15" rMBP can be configured to have 16GB Ram... read up before making false assumptions.
- both 13" and 15" rMBPs can be equipped with a 768GB SSD... again, read up on things.

Of course no machine / device is perfect and they can never fit EVERYONE's needs.
... if you don't like them or can't justify getting one, then DON'T. Get something else.

Well, I guess things have changed. I'm sure when it came out those weren't options. My machine is a 2.2 Ghz quad core i7, but the current non-Retina starts at 2.3Ghz, same as the Retina. To configure the 15" Retina to be equal to mine would run $3478, and you would have to go through Apple to do this.

The non-Retina version would run about $2100 (with non-Apple upgrades), and be nearly as fast with the non-glare high rez screen.

My question for those that have the Retina version is do you think it is worth it, after having taken the plunge and with the current problems and incompatibilities?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.