Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Septic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Hello,

I've noticed a "black screen" / "flickering" on the monitor attached to hdmi of the rmbr, I've already tried 3 different monitors and it always happens. For about 2 - 3 sec the screen is black every 40 - 60 minutes.

I wanted to ask if anybody else is experiencing the same problem?

Regards

Septic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
That's not possible, all the external displays go black

su0301

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
Another issue with HDMI

I found a similar but different issue with the HDMI.

I have a monitor with both HDMI and VGA interfaces. When I connect the monitor to rMBP using HDMI, it works well in the mirror mode (i.e., the monitor and the laptop display the same). But the monitor goes black and keeps flickering if I switch to the extension mode.

If I use the VGA instead (through thunderbolt to VGA adapter), then the extension mode works well.

Does this mean the HDMI connection supports only the mirror mode?

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
OK, first off, you can't run the external display on the integrated graphics. From what I can tell, the Intel IGP is only connected to the computer's built in display.

Also, the computer should be able to output in extended or mirrored, no matter what adapter, just as long as you're using the dedicated ATi card and not the Intel IGP. Are you using good quality cables? Ant type of adapters, etc.?

Septic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
@mgartner0622: you should probably read the question in more detail, it would also help to read all the responses ;)

The flickering only happens via HDMI.
Displayport, DVI over DP, VGA over DP, HDMI over DP all work fine

So su0301, is it constant flickering or is it like with mine every other hour?

su0301

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
@mgartner0622: you should probably read the question in more detail, it would also help to read all the responses ;)

The flickering only happens via HDMI.
Displayport, DVI over DP, VGA over DP, HDMI over DP all work fine

So su0301, is it constant flickering or is it like with mine every other hour?

With HDMI connection, it is constant flickering (and almost black) after switching to the extension mode, but looks ok in mirror mode.

In your case, the flickering every other hour was in extension mode or in mirror mode, or both of them?

Septic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Extension Mode, did not try the mirroring because it's useless to me

dsstao

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2010
I'm having the same issue

I can confirm I'm having the same issue: HDMI connected Dell U2412M at 1920x1200 @60Hz. The monitor works fine in extended mode (I never use mirror), except once every few hours, it'll go black for a few seconds. The latest update did not fix it. I'm on OSX 10.8.2.

gianspi

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2009
Has anyone found a solution?

My Retina MBP is exhibiting the same issue over HDMI.

Using a 24" Hanns-G HH251 Monitor via HDMI.

THETIMES

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
I have this problem with a PMI hdmi cable and a Samsung LED monitor. I have had other macbook pro retina's and this latest one I own is the only one to do this.

It's a real problem. I'm surprised this thread doesn't have more posts. Anyone have any info about this?

It seems to happen right when I am in the middle something like clicking something in Safari, but maybe that's coincidence.

It happens once or twice a day. A black screen for a couple seconds and everything is perfect again.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.