Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I will dislike this ratio for the iPhone, but will hate it more for the iPad. Any thoughts on what the screen ratio will be of the iPad moving forward? I just don't get a longer screen...

jltj

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
Me too...16:9 is one of the big reasons I will not consider other tablets. What is it good for, besides movies? :confused:

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I will dislike this ratio for the iPhone, but will hate it more for the iPad. Any thoughts on what the screen ratio will be of the iPad moving forward? I just don't get a longer screen...

I'm glad we are getting it on the iPhone. Looks like they might go in a different direction for the iPad, though.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I doubt it. The longer phone is meant to add more screen space. The iPad needs no such space. It's also used much more for long-term reading than the iPhone.

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
I was watching a movie in bed last night and figured a wider ipad might be better...but overall conclusion is current design is probably a better ratio balance between portrait and landscape.

krigsmakten

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002

I probably gets too flimsy if 16:9 unless they also increase thickness - and that would be heresy within Apple - an Apple device can't be too thin or too pricey. :)

frosse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Sweden
I probably gets too flimsy if 16:9 unless they also increase thickness - and that would be heresy within Apple - an Apple device can't be too thin or too pricey. :)
You do know they made the new iPad thicker than iPad 2, right?

On topic: I'd hate 16:9, it's only good for movies.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
Here is the difference between the current iPad screen format and a 16:9 format if keeping the 9.7" diagonal size...

9,7-inch-16x9-vs-9,7-inch-4x3.png

And the difference between a 9.7" 16:9 and 2.35:1 format

9,7-inch-16x9-vs-9,7-inch-235x1.png

And finally, the difference between the current 9.7" screen and a 2.35:1 format screen

9,7-inch-4x3-vs-9,7-inch-235x1.png

blufire95

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2012
Germany
I think 4:3 is perfect for a tablet and 3:2 for an phone. Steve Jobs would never change this ;)
I hope Apple will not do this 1136*640 iPhone...
You watch movies in the cinema in ~21:9 or on your big TV.
Phones and tablets have other primary features, movies are secondary or less in my opinion ;)

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011

dear God, i hope not.

i love the fact that the ipad is 4:3. i've learned to barely stomach 16:10 on my laptop, but 16:9 is horrible.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
I have a Transformer tablet and it has a 16x10 ratio. I find that the wider tablet makes it harder to hold in one hand in landscape orientation. I naturally would hold such a shape on one corner. I end up having to adjust to holding it on the bottom.

This is generally not an issue for me because I also own the keyboard dock. It is almost always in the dock, and the dock holds it nicely in place in landscape. If you don't have a keyboard dock or stand, then holding a long tablet in landscape orientation is a bit awkward.

In portrait orientation, it is fine. A 16x10 ratio is a bit narrower, but isn't that noticeable. The iPad seems to be designed to be used in portrait orientation most of the time. The Transformer seems to be designed to be used in landscape. The speakers are on either side when held in landscape. If you hold it in portrait, you won't get the proper stereo sound effect as the speakers will be above and below you. When watching movies, you would do so in landscape. A 16x10 or 16x9 ratio would be beneficial for watching movies and videos.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I doubt it. The longer phone is meant to add more screen space.
The problem with what we've seen is it's only half a solution.

When in the landscape mode, composing notes, emails etc, the keyboard pops up to consumer over half of the "window" then there's the bar across the top with time, signal strength etc, that drops down consuming more space.

So you only end up with about 30% of the display as working area. This slows one down, increases chance of typing errors, and is a general pain in the ass.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
16:9 makes a lot more sense on the phone, the phone is used portrait a lot more than the iPad. For twitter, texting, mail etc etc!

iPads are used a lot for websites and other apps that require a good sized slab (i.e. not long and thin!).

I doubt apple will move the iPads screen size at all. Tablets if anything seem to be getting SMALLER with these new 7" things (Nexus 7, Kindle Fire and rumored mini iPad). Imagine if you had to hold a 14" iPad in your hand? Sounds nice until your arm gives in!

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2012
Actually, I feel a 16:9 screen makes more sense on an iPad than iPhone.

Currently the iPad supports multitasking but it doesnt allow multiple apps on screen at once. Sure, it keeps things simple but as end users get more sophisticated then so will their needs and some day soon we should be able to watch a video podcast AND type out a pages document at the same time, or play a game while also monitoring FB/Twitter/Email. (I know a lot of people who's most "efficient" multitasking scenario is to have their iPhone and iPad open at the same time and it seems a bit silly)

The easiest solution to scenarios like that is to have a wider screen where you can offer a smaller "drawer" space for a secondary app while also giving an adequate amount of space to the main app.

tavblet_main_1531708a.jpg

It may look ugly to people used to todays iPad (or because this is how the Surface is doing it), but the increased functionality would create an incredible leap in productivity for some of us and would require a wider screen to pull it off properly.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
It may look ugly to people used to todays iPad (or because this is how the Surface is doing it), but the increased functionality would create an incredible leap in productivity for some of us and would require a wider screen to pull it off properly.

I totally agree, however seeing as apple competitors (MS, + samsungs with the moveable video overlay) have latched on to this I don't see apple makings move to implement it too - shame because I quite like the idea.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
...It may look ugly to people used to todays iPad (or because this is how the Surface is doing it), but the increased functionality would create an incredible leap in productivity for some of us and would require a wider screen to pull it off properly.

So what you're saying is that a 16:9 iPad makes sense when using a version of iOS that doesn't exist.

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2012
So what you're saying is that a 16:9 iPad makes sense when using a version of iOS that doesn't exist.
Yes. Most people don't this explained to them, but since we are talking about a hypothetical 16:9 iPad which doesnt currently exist then we are also talking hypothetically about the non-existant OS that would run on it.

BTW. Those colored rectangles Hammie posted aren't screenshots, they were actually made on a computer.

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
Good Thread. They need to just concentrate on improving iOS, making multitasking and notification center way more useful..

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Ditto !

I will never buy another iPad if it ever uses this horrible aspect ratio. :mad:

So which make will you switch to then, or wil you simply never buy any tablet ever again?

Or perhaps, more lightly when you see a 16:10 iPad and how they have adapted iOS to take advantage of the extra space you will go, wow amazing, I must have one.

Just a thought :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.