Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
References a Fox News article that's since been updated to remove any reference to "Next Week".

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
I think the new iMac will definitely be unveiled at an event, thinner/odd removal/new display are all big changes and I don't think Apple would do a silent update

uptownnyc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
"Multiple sources tell me that a new lineup of desktop machines from Apple is imminent."

Source 1: MacRumors
Source 2: BGR
Source 3: AppleInsider

Good to go ... let's get some page-views! The article itself basically admits its own bias:

"I’ve been hoping for an iMac update and it looks like my wish is about to come true!"

The only difference between him and us is that he's getting paid to speculate.

thatisme

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2010
United States
if anything, they may get announced in October along side the new iPad mini. It may be billed as a Retina announcement if the iPad mini has the retina display and the iMacs get that as an upgrade. It would tie those 2 product families together enough for a singular presser.

uptownnyc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
I think the new iMac will definitely be unveiled at an event, thinner/odd removal/new display are all big changes and I don't think Apple would do a silent update

The rumored October event sounds right for this. It'll be after the current educational promo, and after the iPhone announcement.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
"Multiple sources tell me that a new lineup of desktop machines from Apple is imminent."

Source 1: MacRumors
Source 2: BGR
Source 3: AppleInsider

Of course, don't confuse copying for confirmation. There is one source. This Fox guy. Whose story seems to be changing with the wind.

His basic premise is hard to dispute. His date dartboard is as good as ours.

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
The rumored October event sounds right for this. It'll be after the current educational promo, and after the iPhone announcement.

yeah just hope its this year, there was a news bit that the new iMacs were leaving factories in August for a September release

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Nobody knows. I think you can expect the iMac any week between next and through October, we have enough evidence that it's ok to assume this... Anything else of which day is pure speculation

CoreyLahey

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
Of course, don't confuse copying for confirmation. There is one source. This Fox guy. Whose story seems to be changing with the wind.

His basic premise is hard to dispute. His date dartboard is as good as ours.

Ahh, but it's not only the wind. It's also the luxury and sometimes, it's the brand. Ahh. Oh. Ugh.

janderson0719

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
I can fully see Tim Cook or one of his buddies quickly mentioning the iMac line and giving us direction on what's going on. I hope....

fingerprince

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011
" Great Here is the new iMac!.....Now back to our 50% profit margin iPhone... "

Frankly that would do me just fine :)

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I guess the question could be will they announce the iMac first or "One more thing..." at the end? Either way works for me.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I wish what this fox guy first said about new iMac next week is a fact. Who knows maybe he has an apple friend who told him, but then asked him to change his story to not give him problems internally. I don't think it's any less likely to release it under the iPhone event than the iPad mini event. The iPhone isn't a mystery to anyone anymore - it's a well established product and it will get its hype no matter if the update multiple other products. I would think that they would rather not mix other products with the introduction of an iPad mini, since that's an entirely new product. So in my logic either they pump out a ton of new stuff next week and let the iPad mini get the stage alone in October. Or they release the other products such as the iMac silently inbetween the two massive releases.

signatus

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
Andalucía, Spain
Upgrade

If Apple upgrades iMacs next week, they can already note down that they'll sell at least one brand new iMac: mine :)

When it arrives, I'll have to move all the data from my 2008 MBP to the iMac. Do you know it will be difficult to install all the programmes I 've bought (and I have installed on my MBP, f.i. Pages, Office, etc.) on the new iMac? I hope I don't have to buy them again.

A second question, which is the easiest way to move all the files, connecting both computers, or using the Time Capsule? Any help will be welcomed.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
If Apple upgrades iMacs next week, they can already note down that they'll sell at least one brand new iMac: mine :)

When it arrives, I'll have to move all the data from my 2008 MBP to the iMac. Do you know it will be difficult to install all the programmes I 've bought (and I have installed on my MBP, f.i. Pages, Office, etc.) on the new iMac? I hope I don't have to buy them again.

A second question, which is the easiest way to move all the files, connecting both computers, or using the Time Capsule? Any help will be welcomed.

There are several easy way to transfer.
When startup the the new machine it will ask you what you prefer. If you have the entire current machine backed up on time capsule you can restore from that. Or you can use transfer (another option) which will just clone your mbp. Both will let your installed software work on the new machine. If you want a clean install the transfer some data is better (like your user folders). Then you would have to reinstall the software you need. The stuff you have bought on app store will easily be installed again through app store with the same login. ... So very easy no matter how you do it ;) compared to how it is switching windows computers.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012

the set up assistant will do everything for you. You just need a way of linking the two computers together. I would go for firewire cable.

signatus

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
Andalucía, Spain
I like the way Apple makes apparently difficult things smooth and easy. Though what makes Apple best is its fanboys ;) Thanks a lot for your comments.

davidgnomo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2012
Imola (BO) - Italy
I don't understand why iPhones and iMacs cannot be presented together : a lot of people keeps on writing that doing so the two devices could steal attention from each other if they were to be shown at the same event, but I do not agree ... they're two completely different things from completely different domains, why people waiting for the new iPhone should be distracted by iMacs and viceversa ? Plus there's also a lot of people (like me ?) who is probably ready to buy them both ! I don't believe the story about "it's too much an expense now, I'll buy just one item instead of both".

I'm pretty sure though that there must be a marketing law that states exactly the contrary of what I just wrote, but ... CAN ANYBODY EXPLAIN IT TO ME ? Proofs or examples would be greatly appreciated ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.