Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Not much yet since I really don't want to end up massaging T.O.'s ego any more by talking about him. Preaseason hasn't really thrown up anything else of interest so I guess this thread will get resurrected in 3 weeks time with the division winner/playoff picks ;)

One thing that I think might be interesting to watch play out this year is the role of the different positions. With the Vikes trading Moss and the Eagles facing the prospect of playing without T.O. (darn I had to mention him) and the success that the Pats have enjoyed without a true go-to receiver superstar, will this mean if the Vikes/Eagles/Pat enjoy success that the WR position becomes devalued in the salary scale? A little like how the glut of running backs has devalued their free agency value over the last 2 years. I'm sure the QB will always be the highest paid member of the offense but I'm wondering whether the philosophy might shift to a higher proprortion of the cap going to the O-line.

Get a good O-line and your QB has more time to make decisions and throw the ball, your RB has more chance of gaining yards... will they become the new 'must-have in depth' commodity in the NFL?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Applespider said:
Get a good O-line and your QB has more time to make decisions and throw the ball, your RB has more chance of gaining yards... will they become the new 'must-have in depth' commodity in the NFL?

I think they already are, and have been for a while, just some coaches don't quite fully recognize this and since there's a much smaller pool of seriously talented individuals to pull from, they might not invest the time and money into getting the best. Plus since part of the NFL is marketing itself, babies like TO sell more soup to the masses who (might not be that smart) recognize touchdowns are good, over the Matt Turks who the masses don't see any touchdowns from. And probably don't understand the game enough to realize how important all the positions are. Afterall, it's just a buncha fat guys pushing each other around, right? :)

But you're 100% right.

IMO, a good team NEEDS to start at the O-line and the D-line. If you're solid here, the mediocre players at the rest of your positions get a little bit "better". Pressure on and off the ball accounts for a TON.

All that being said, I'm curious what will happen with the Pats this year. The loss of BOTH our offensive and defensive coordinators, who were excellent coaches in their own rights will be a big blow I think. This blow is lessened somewhat by Big Bill's ability to choose other able bodied coaches, and since the defensive scheme comes from his head. But the subtle nuances in motivation and interaction between a coach and a player can make a world of difference. So I'm a little.. "apprehensive" shall we say? But REALLY excited!!

20050103215157.jpeg

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
gwuMACaddict said:
TO is annoying, the redskins suck, rex grossman is hurt... sounds like 2004 all over again

You forgot one. The Indianapolis "we only play offense" Colts won't make it to the Super Bowl... again.

Someday, though, the 'Skins will get to the Post Season again. Someday. Hopefully before I die.

Lethal

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
Applespider said:
....One thing that I think might be interesting to watch play out this year is the role of the different positions. With the Vikes trading Moss and the Eagles facing the prospect of playing without T.O. (darn I had to mention him) and the success that the Pats have enjoyed without a true go-to receiver superstar, will this mean if the Vikes/Eagles/Pat enjoy success that the WR position becomes devalued in the salary scale? A little like how the glut of running backs has devalued their free agency value over the last 2 years. I'm sure the QB will always be the highest paid member of the offense but I'm wondering whether the philosophy might shift to a higher proprortion of the cap going to the O-line.

Offensive linemen will never be paid according to its value, because it isn't a glamor position. It's also a position that's doesn't have any meaningful statistics to judge performance.

Running backs have always been a "must-have" commodity in the NFL. I heard somewhere that the average RB's career lasts about 4 years. You can never have enough. Teams win because they can control the ball and play defense.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
My prediction for the 2005 season..

The undervalued tight end position makes a raging comeback as zone defensive schemes get tighter and tighter on wide receivers, and D-Lines/LBs keep a bigger eye on receiving backs.

I think we'll see more 2 TE sets.

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
yellow said:
....All that being said, I'm curious what will happen with the Pats this year. The loss of BOTH our offensive and defensive coordinators, who were excellent coaches in their own rights will be a big blow I think. This blow is lessened somewhat by Big Bill's ability to choose other able bodied coaches, and since the defensive scheme comes from his head. But the subtle nuances in motivation and interaction between a coach and a player can make a world of difference. So I'm a little.. "apprehensive" shall we say? But REALLY excited!!

The Pats will be fine. It's the system that matters. As long as the players believe in playing like a team, and that no one is greater than the team, then they'll be back in the playoffs. If they avoid significant injuries, they will probably make it to the Super Bowl.

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
yellow said:
IMO, a good team NEEDS to start at the O-line and the D-line. If you're solid here, the mediocre players at the rest of your positions get a little bit "better". Pressure on and off the ball accounts for a TON.

Just look at Dallas's line in the 90's. Amazing line, and one of the best backs in the history of football was the result. I know this is cliche, but can you imagine what Barry Sanders would have done with that line? Emmitt is one of the best because of his patience, and his ability to utilize his line to the fullest extent. And to stay healthy enough to make it to the next game.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Yup, yup, yup. While I respect ES for what he did and the sheer length of time he did it, IMO, he would have been much less the superstar had he been with a team without that amazing O-Line.

Sox

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2005
I can only hope that this thread does not die the slow death of its cousin, the "2005 Baseball Season."

I'm anxioius to see how Michael Vick: WCOffense Year 2 pans out. I'm always torn on Vick, as I agree that he needs to greatly improve his passing/decision-making, but I don't think it's the right call to do so at the expense of his running game. He's the most explosive athlete in the NFL; it would be a shame to see his greatest gift underutilized. Then again, he could stand to complete a few short passes here and there. The Falcons nearly went to the Super Bowl on Vick's legs, and they certainly could again, especially with that defense.

Something else to keep an eye on is Oakland's Randy Moss Experience. Before Moss reported to training camp, his Raiders jersey has already sold more than any other. He seems happy, joking around, even with the media. Kerry Collins must think he won the lottery. Maybe he did. Finally, Randy Moss is on a team where he is unequivically THE MAN. He's not splitting time with Cris Carter or Daunte Culpepper anymore, and being the true Diva that he is, I think he's going to have his best season ever.

I completely agree with piv and yellow about the Pats. I think they'll be fine. Brady is the smartest most efficient quarterback in the game right now (put down your hand, Peyton) and can certainly run the offense effectively, even without Weis (as Weis himself has attested to). Crennel's replacement (Mike Mangini) has been a Belichick disciple since his days with the Tuna on the Jets staff, so he intuitively understands the scheme. Plus, he's the guy who cobbled together a Super Bowl Champion defensive backfield of Troy Brown, a couple of practice-squad guys, and two blocking sleds. The line to bet against these guys isn't exactly wrapping around the corner.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Sox said:
I can only hope that this thread does not die the slow death of its cousin, the "2005 Baseball Season."

well, to be fair, that thread is about baseball. you know, the sport with... 162 freaking games in a season

anyone think the steelers will have another great season?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I feel like the Raiders are becoming like the Cowboys.. picking up all the overpriced, overvalued, overthehill refuse the league has to offer.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
OK make way for the Carolina Panthers!

We are finally healthy, at least this week. I think the Pats had better show up for the game of their life on week 2 this year, in Carolina. We should have, and almost did, beat ya in the SuperBowl, and I think we got your number this year! (boy am I out there!)

Anyway, if, and it is a big "IF", we can keep some stars and starters healthy, the under rated Panthers are coming to turn out your lights!! :D :p :cool:

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Uh-huh. :)

And if Steve Smith keeps his yap shut. :rolleyes:

But the Panthers are a pretty good team, though I don't know if they're so much underrated as they are overachieving? We'll see.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
yellow said:
All that being said, I'm curious what will happen with the Pats this year. The loss of BOTH our offensive and defensive coordinators, who were excellent coaches in their own rights will be a big blow I think. This blow is lessened somewhat by Big Bill's ability to choose other able bodied coaches, and since the defensive scheme comes from his head.
Welcome to my world. Year after year after year, Bill Cowher's coaching staff was decimated. It finally took its toll. It's no coincidence that Dick Lebeau's return last year as defensive coordinator was the year of the most wins ever for an AFC team (Steelers). The current head coaches of the Bills, Bengals, Saints, Texans, Colts, and Panthers are all former disciples of Bill Cowher. There are also several offensive & defensive coordinators of other teams that came from Cowher.

The big question for the Patriots will be on offense. Charlie Weis, I think, was a big part of how they made their offensive players interchangeable parts.

I'm hoping the Steelers survive the loss of the right side of their line, and of course that Hines re-signs.

Dave

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I'm sorry, I hate Hines Ward. And that's STRICTLY becuase he's a Pat KILLER! :)

Frankly, I wonder about Bill Cowher.. sometimes he's clearly brilliant, but no matter what he had one consistant MAJOR failing (IMO)..

Kordell_Stewart.jpg

(Sorry, I had to choose that one)

Why, oh why, oh why did he stick with him for SO long??

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
yellow said:
I'm sorry, I hate Hines Ward. And that's STRICTLY becuase he's a Pat KILLER! :)

Frankly, I wonder about Bill Cowher.. sometimes he's clearly brilliant, but no matter what he had one consistant MAJOR failing (IMO)..

Kordell_Stewart.jpg

(Sorry, I had to choose that one)

I think it's cause he was one of the first QB's to actually run with the ball pretty well. I could be wrong, but not too many QB's before Kordell ran with it often. Steve Young aside...

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
Ah, the life of a Saints fan…a new season full of promise, doing well, and then a late season utter collapse! Credit them for doing the collapse first in 2004 and keeping it together at the end.

For the most part I take out my frustrations in Madden 06 on my Xbox. I just took out the Panthers last night, 19 to 13 in OT! W00t! :D

Cfg5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
California
yellow said:
My prediction for the 2005 season..

The undervalued tight end position makes a raging comeback as zone defensive schemes get tighter and tighter on wide receivers, and D-Lines/LBs keep a bigger eye on receiving backs.

I think we'll see more 2 TE sets.

To be honest I think tight ends made a huge comeback about 2-3 years ago. There's a ton of good tight ends in the league now, Gates, Gonzalez, Heap, Witten, Johnson, McMicheal, and Shockey just to name a few.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
yellow said:
Kordell Stewart was really an enigma. A tremendously gifted athlete, he was durable and strong (routinely ran over DB's when on the run, never got hurt). He had a strong arm, and great footwork. His achilles heel was that he wanted to be a traditional quarterback, and that role just was not using his talents, because he didn't have the capacity to make good decisions that is essential to a traditional quarterback role. He really shot himself in the foot by eschewing the "Slash" role. With Neil O'Donnell as the regular QB and "Slash" in situations, the preparation for the defense was a nightmare. The only reason they didn't win the '96 Superbowl was that Neil O'Donnell (who threw fewer interceptions per pass than any QB in history) went out and laid an egg, tossing easy interceptions on key drives. The offense fell apart after that because Neil O'Donnell wanted more money & left, and Stewart wanted to be a regular quarterback. If that hadn't happened, you might have seen Kordell Stewart have a career more like Hines Ward & Antoine Randle El (both used as "slash"es) and the Steelers probably would've had at least 1 or 2 superbowls in the late 90's.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
stubeeef said:
OK make way for the Carolina Panthers!

We are finally healthy, at least this week. I think the Pats had better show up for the game of their life on week 2 this year, in Carolina. We should have, and almost did, beat ya in the SuperBowl, and I think we got your number this year! (boy am I out there!)

Anyway, if, and it is a big "IF", we can keep some stars and starters healthy, the under rated Panthers are coming to turn out your lights!! :D :p :cool:
Panthers are gonna rock this year. Steve Smith has apparently grown up, so as long as he remains healthy (along with our other starters), the Panthers should do quite well.

BTW, I live about .5 miles from Bank of America Stadium... Yellow, since you live in North Carolina, it's time for you to switch allegiance to your local team. :D

Applespider

macrumors G4
Don M. said:
Ah, the life of a Saints fan…a new season full of promise, doing well, and then a late season utter collapse!

Yeah...although when the start of the season includes promises like Aaron Brooks forgetting how to line up under center, it could be a long year! :p

EDIT: So it's the rookie. A UK Saints fan sent it to me bemoaning her fate and referencing wrong QB... ah well!

Attachments

• QB.jpg
    QB.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 151
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.