Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

green94

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
I have one, and while it currently is pretty beat up (tearing at a few corners), it has done the job for me. By far the best feature is it's ability to sit in the iPhone Dock without having to remove the case. It is razor thin and won't protect against drops, but will protect the back of your phone without you knowing it is even there.

parrot5

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2010
Check out the Pinlo Slice as well. Matte finish. I had one on my 4, but after a drop it will crack. If anyone would order both and do a comparison that'd be great lol.....

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
does anyone know of any other cases that are this thin? i really like how the black is transparent so it can keep the look of the iphone.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
Why would people want a case that doesn't even have a lip (like the Feather) to keep the screen safe if face down?

krick

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2009
FWIW, the Desmay is made of polypropylene while the Caze is made of Grilamid TR-90 (polyamide). The Grilamid TR-90 formulation of polyamide, which is the stuff that most sport sunglasses are made of, is generally more durable and flexible than pp, but I have no idea what pp formulation is being used on the Desmay or how it compares. I can say, however, that the Caze ThinEdge bumper that I've had on my iP4, also made of TR-90, has been the most durable case I've ever used, and by quite some margin. My phone has been dropped from 8-10 feet onto rough concrete, repeatedly dropped and skidded from lower heights on streets, driveways, brick walkways etc. and fired at 10 mph into sheetrock, and while the bumper does, of course, show many signs of wear and tear, it hasn't cracked, loosened or otherwise degraded in any substantive manner. All that being said, the ThinEdge is, despite its name, considerable thicker than the Zero 5 so I wouldn't expect the same durability out of the Zero 5, but I would still expect it to be more durable than an average pp case of the same thickness.

jpcarro

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2009
On your nine
johndoejohndoes said:
Why would people want a case that doesn't even have a lip (like the Feather) to keep the screen safe if face down?
Why would people want to put their phone face down?

I never put my phone face down either, but the lip on the Feather has saved me a few times during those rare drops.

Edit: btw, one drop on asphalt (Incipio Feather) and one drop on linoleum (Incase Snap)...both times landing face down, no damage to phone either time.

Last edited:

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Why would people want to put their phone face down?

I'm guessing he's saying if it's dropped face down, with a small thin case like these though you probably won't get much drop protection regardless unless a short fall on linoleum

----------

FWIW, the Desmay is made of polypropylene while the Caze is made of Grilamid TR-90 (polyamide). The Grilamid TR-90 formulation of polyamide, which is the stuff that most sport sunglasses are made of, is generally more durable and flexible than pp, but I have no idea what pp formulation is being used on the Desmay or how it compares. I can say, however, that the Caze ThinEdge bumper that I've had on my iP4, also made of TR-90, has been the most durable case I've ever used, and by quite some margin. My phone has been dropped from 8-10 feet onto rough concrete, repeatedly dropped and skidded from lower heights on streets, driveways, brick walkways etc. and fired at 10 mph into sheetrock, and while the bumper does, of course, show many signs of wear and tear, it hasn't cracked, loosened or otherwise degraded in any substantive manner. All that being said, the ThinEdge is, despite its name, considerable thicker than the Zero 5 so I wouldn't expect the same durability out of the Zero 5, but I would still expect it to be more durable than an average pp case of the same thickness.

I asked earlier but no reply since you seem to be knowledgeable on the different materials of these cases, do you think by any chance one of them would be flexible enough to fit a body skin underneath?

jpcarro

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2009
On your nine
I asked earlier but no reply since you seem to be knowledgeable on the different materials of these cases, do you think by any chance one of them would be flexible enough to fit a body skin underneath?

When I tried the Desmay, it was somewhat flexible, but I couldn't get it over body skin. Even without body skin, it was very tight.

krick

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2009

Doubt it - hard cases materials such as these have very little elasticity or plasticity (as distinguished from flexibility), which means that if the case fits tightly (which snap cases need to in order for them to stay put), you probably aren't going to be able to fit a skin underneath.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Doubt it - hard cases materials such as these have very little elasticity or plasticity (as distinguished from flexibility), which means that if the case fits tightly (which snap cases need to in order for them to stay put), you probably aren't going to be able to fit a skin underneath.
Any cases that aren't bulky that you think just might fit?

It is always a tough task finding one but like to keep my phone in the best condition as I can for resale value since I sell and upgrade every year. I've had bad past experiences with cases and dirt getting stuck between causing scratches.

krick

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2009
Any cases that aren't bulky that you think just might fit?

It is always a tough task finding one but like to keep my phone in the best condition as I can for resale value since I sell and upgrade every year. I've had bad past experiences with cases and dirt getting stuck between causing scratches.

Some thin non-snap type hard cases might work, and I would imagine that most TPU cases would be fine over a skin because of their inherent elasticity. As far as the hard cases go, you'll just have to wait for reviews to come in or do trial and error yourself. Bear in mind also that there will be unit to unit variations because of less than ideal mfg tolerances so it's a distinct possibility that if you bought 3 of the exact same case, 1 or 2 might fit while the other one(s) don't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.