Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
How did you do it? My boss might want to downgrade.

I got the 5.1.1 IPSW from felixbruns.de. Placed that file on my desktop. went to iTunes, clicked on my phone in the devices tab, and i held shift while clicking the restore button. it brought up a menu, I went to my desktop, double clicked on the 5.1.1 IPSW, and it started restoring. you may want to hurry though as the signing windows is still open!

Roc P.

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2012
Long Island
I got the 5.1.1 IPSW from felixbruns.de. Placed that file on my desktop. went to iTunes, clicked on my phone in the devices tab, and i held shift while clicking the restore button. it brought up a menu, I went to my desktop, double clicked on the 5.1.1 IPSW, and it started restoring. you may want to hurry though as the signing windows is still open!

Ok, thank you. I'm not even sure what to o :-/ my boss has an iPad 2 that has never been synced with a computer :( I told him my iPad seemed faster after I upgraded so he asked me to upgrade his. Now one of his Apps isn't working right and I get the I've he thinks its my fault.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Ok, thank you. I'm not even sure what to o :-/ my boss has an iPad 2 that has never been synced with a computer :( I told him my iPad seemed faster after I upgraded so he asked me to upgrade his. Now one of his Apps isn't working right and I get the I've he thinks its my fault.

That sucks :( hopefully he has a backup on iOS 5.x or else he'll have to start over...

Roc P.

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2012
Long Island
That sucks :( hopefully he has a backup on iOS 5.x or else he'll have to start over...

Unfortunately he doesn't :( It's never been synced or backed up. He is 64 and wanted a laptop for his birthday last year but his son thought he would like an iPad more so he got him that instead. I guess he's stuck with iOS 6 then. I wish I never said anything to him! :mad:

tinktink09is

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2011
I did mine and went smooth and only took 1 time! I'm super glad I was able to downgrade because I was very disappointed with the iOS 6 update...but oh well I'm just SUPER glad that I was able to go back to 5.1.1...All SMILES! :D:D:D

Sersiously, do it NOW! i just downgraded my 4S to 5.1.1, the signing window is still open! I cant post any proof or anything, but im back to 5.1.1 now :)

HOW TO DO IT:
1. Download the iOS 5.1.1 IPSW for your device from felixbruns.de
2. Place that file on your desktop.
3. In iTunes, click your device.
4. (very important) you must HOLD SHIFT WHILE CLICKING THE RESTORE BUTTON. when this is done, a menu will come up that allows you to pick an IPSW. go to your desktop from this menu and pick the 5.1.1 IPSW that you placed on your desktop from earlier (usually double click)
5. The restore should go through. This is because the signing window for iOS 5.1.1 is still open! but it wont be for long so HURRY.

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
Can I use my most recent backup stored within iTunes or does it have to be a backup from when I was on 5.1.1?

miss.manson

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2011
Georgia
Sersiously, do it NOW! i just downgraded my 4S to 5.1.1, the signing window is still open! I cant post any proof or anything, but im back to 5.1.1 now :)

HOW TO DO IT:
1. Download the iOS 5.1.1 IPSW for your device from felixbruns.de
4. (very important) you must HOLD SHIFT WHILE CLICKING THE RESTORE BUTTON. when this is done, a menu will come up that allows you to pick an IPSW. go to your desktop from this menu and pick the 5.1.1 IPSW that you placed on your desktop from earlier (usually double click)
5. The restore should go through. This is because the signing window for iOS 5.1.1 is still open! but it wont be for long so HURRY.

I can confirm this works.

dnkbro

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
Downloading the 5.1.1 IPSW as we speak, 44 minutes left. I hope time doesn't run out.

echo2011

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
I just went back from 6.0. mainly to see if it worked, which it did. I'll wait a bit now for 6 to get a little more polished.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
I did mine and went smooth and only took 1 time! I'm super glad I was able to downgrade because I was very disappointed with the iOS 6 update...but oh well I'm just SUPER glad that I was able to go back to 5.1.1...All SMILES! :D:D:D

Glad to hear it worked for you! I was relieved when the restore came though :)

Can I use my most recent backup stored within iTunes or does it have to be a backup from when I was on 5.1.1?
Has to be a backup from 5.1.1 or earlier.

I can confirm this works.
Thanks for the confirmation! :D

You can download the ipsw files directly from apple

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=8500

You can backup and restore your blobs with tinyumbrella

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

Very useful info. Thanks.

Downloading the 5.1.1 IPSW as we speak, 44 minutes left. I hope time doesn't run out.

I doubt it will. The windows is usually open for 2 days i believe.
I just went back from 6.0. mainly to see if it worked, which it did. I'll wait a bit now for 6 to get a little more polished.
Did the exact same thing :p

I'm also trying restroing back to 5.1.1 as we speak....

Hopefully it goes through :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

CTorchid

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012

HOW TO DO IT:
1. Download the iOS 5.1.1 IPSW for your device from http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=8500 (direct from apple!)

Optional: Once youre on 5.1.1, save your blobs so you can downgrade to this firmware in the future when the signing window is closed! http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/
If i downgrade would I still have all my notes, contacts and all my settings?

Thanks.

chappelle

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2012
Thanks for the tip. The restore worked fine for me but unfortunately I don't have a pre-iOS6 backup on my computer anymore :-(...

CTorchid

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Thanks for the tip. The restore worked fine for me but unfortunately I don't have a pre-iOS6 backup on my computer anymore :-(...

I have the same thing since this is my travel laptop and last time I synced with itunes was in June Im afraid that if i downgrade Itunes won't give me the options to restore to my June backup.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I'm just about to restore my iPad 3 to 5.1.1 for the most mundane of reasons, but a reason none the less.

In iOS 6 Apple have plugged the loophole which allowed you to sync with iExplorer and replace the .png files for app icons which don't have retina display artwork.

Edit: Confirming that 5.1.1 is still being signed as of 6am on Friday 21st September.

Last edited:

SinkOrSwim

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
California

HOW TO DO IT:
1. Download the iOS 5.1.1 IPSW for your device from http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=8500 (direct from apple!)

Optional: Once youre on 5.1.1, save your blobs so you can downgrade to this firmware in the future when the signing window is closed! http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

--- What are the blobs? Isn't it that all you need is the saved 5.1.1 IPSW?

drxcm

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2010
Thank you !!

Successfully downgraded and restored my old backup just now.
I had no idea what blobs were, but have backed those up too ..

Thank goodness - I absolutely hated iOS6 maps. The only features I will miss are full-screen safari and panorama camera mode

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
PSA: saving the blobs on a 4S/IP3 will only allow you to restore to the 5.x version that was already on the device. If you are on iOS6 and Apple closes the signing window for 5.1.1, you're stuck on 6 even with blobs saved.

wannabelean

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2009

HOW TO DO IT:

You sir are a legend. Thanks a million! Restore both the Ipad and Iphone successfully.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.