Cold Weather and the iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macaddict06, Sep 22, 2012.

1. macaddict06 macrumors regular

Hi All,

Got my iP5 yesterday and started using it right away. Nice new features, etc etc. Nice upgrade from my 4. Anyway, I was out last night for a softball game and it was about 50-55 degrees F. My iPhone 5 went NUTS. Either it wouldn't recognize finger input, or it would be hyper sensitive and sense my finger about 1.5cm away from the screen. With it laying flat in my palm the screen would go absolutely nuts, as if a couple of people we touching it and button mashing. It even started typing random letters in a text message to a friend.

That said, has anyone else seen a similar problem? My iPhone 4 (which I had on my last night) never had this problem and worked just fine. It was only the 5 and I could tell it was the temp - if I warmed it up, then it would work fine and slowly lose functionality.

Ideas? Anyone else?

Macaddict

2. shortcrust macrumors 6502

I wouldn't think it's the temperature. There are many thousands of iPhone 5s that have been operated in colder temperatures already. If there was a temperature issue we would know by now.

3. EdwardSung macrumors regular

You know, I have no idea what's actually going on, but I've been having the exact same thing happen to my phone. In the mornings, my phone (which I leave by the window) is pretty cold, and will behave pretty much as you described.

4. EdwardSung macrumors regular

Just tried an experiment. After displaying the aforementioned screen weirdness this morning, the phone's been working fine all day. I took the phone into the walk-in freezer at work and kept it in there for about 3 minutes. Sure enough, the screen started acting crazy again.

5. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Any condensation forming on the screen, even very slightly?

6. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I was just about to suggest the same thing. Sounds like the screen is sweating. And I'd wager that other touchscreen devices would do the same thing.

7. EdwardSung macrumors regular

I didn't see any condensation on the screen, but maybe internally?

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

The back of the manual, it says at what temperature range the phone is guaranteed to work... 50-55f seems reasonable, many earth cities have that temp, so looks like u got an appointment with Apple soon.

9. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I'm telling my wife to stop putting her phone in the window sil at night.

10. macaddict06 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry to be so late on this:

I ended up finding that the problem was happening no matter the temp (H/T to shortcrust for that).

I took it to the Apple Store and they told me to do a restore and set up as new phone. Went home, tried it, didn't fix it.

Took it back to ARS and they exchanged it. The only thing that I noticed that was funny about the iPhone was that the headphone jack wasn't exactly plumb. I thought that was just a design thing, but when I got my new iPhone it was perfectly plumb.

TL;DR: problem not caused by temp, went to ARS and they exchanged it for a new one. No problems since.

11. sepsep macrumors newbie

No Solution, Returned

Mine had the issue only when it got a little bit cold. So took it to the Apple Store and fortunately it was cold that day. Kept it cool until the "Genius" guy took a look and saw that it was like that. He immediately changed the phone for me. So now I have a new one.

12. KandyKane macrumors 6502

Doesn't happen to me.
    55f~12 Celsius and it's been colder than that here.