$1460 old MBP vs. $1788 new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 530farm, Apr 14, 2010.

  1. 530farm macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2010
    #1
    So i ended up getting tired of waiting at the worst possible time, and ordered a 15" 2.53 C2D. I just got it, yesterday when the refresh was announced. I paid 1460, and my dilema is if you guys think its worth selling/returning it and paying an extra $328 for the new 2.4 i5 15". Basically if you think the GPU CPU upgrades are worth the extra money. The biggest thing i worry about is the GPU as probably the most intense thing i'll do on it is play StarCraft 2 when it comes out, otherwise it will mostly be used for internet, word processing, email, a little photo editing, probably a mixing/dj program.


    Also, if you guys convince me the upgrades are worth the extra money, is there a good play to buy that is out of California so i don't have to pay tax? powermax is best i've found so far at 1788.

    Thanks
     
  2. Gen macrumors 6502a

    Gen

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2008
  3. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

    Jaro65

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2009
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #3
    You bet it's worth it. Just from the future resale value perspective.
     
  4. gothamm macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2007
    #4
    NO, it is NOT worth it. Don't listen to the mindless consumers. Stay within your means. Your current MBP is more than enough for your needs.
     
  5. 530farm thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2010
    #5
    yeah i'm pretty positive i shouldn't have a problem with the current hardware in he c2d model for what i use it for except starcraft 2. I'm not a huge gamer, just starcraft was my favorite game as a kid and wanna relive my childhood.
     
  6. ChronoIMG macrumors regular

    ChronoIMG

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2003
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    #6
    What are the requirements for SC2? NASA technology? We're talking about Blizzard here, they generally don't ship games that require a super computer. But I've yet to see specs for SC2 :p

    Edit:
    Pretty wimpy Windows requirements. A Dell I bought 5 years ago would run it.
     
  7. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #7
    The faster processor, better battery, and a dedicated GPU is worth the extra; don't forget your 2.53GHz configuration uses integrated graphics only while the new configuration starts with dedicated graphics. And then add the faster CPU.
     
  8. Aroi macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2010
    #8
    Don't do it, you'll be sorry! The new MBP's are all hype and I'm predicting a 60-70% return return/exchange rate. Most people will probably exchange for an iPad which is almost as powerful and will have 100x more games than OS X.
     
  9. ecks618 macrumors 6502

    ecks618

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2006
    Location:
    NYC
    #9
    Thanks for that, I needed a nice laugh at the end of the work day.
     
  10. Apple.MBPro macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2010
    #10
    I love your sense of humor style. :D
     
  11. sudo user macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2010
    #11
    I'm in the exact same situation.
    Ordered my 15 inch 2.53 C2D with matte screen last week, it gets here tomorrow afternoon.

    With the student pricing, the new one would be $190 more.
    and I would get...
    New processor, and video card (according to apple it's better)
    Better battery life (from a "7" to "8-9 hours")
    Larger HDD (250GB to 320GB)
    Higher resolution screen (As nice as the glossy screens look with the brightness cranked, to get any real work done i'm going with the anti-glare for sure)

    While the C2D is still way more than I need for 190 bucks it's hard not to justify getting the new one.

    My only concern is that while i'm sure apple tests its products before sending them to market, buying a first gen laptop with a whole new processor/graphics card/'automatic switching' worries me. I don't need the horsepower so to speak, but the increased battery life and higher screen resolution wouldn't hurt.

    Could some one tell me this computer is going to last me the next five years?(by this i mean stay working, not be up to date technology wise, i'm rocking a ten year old hp right now, 1.6ghz centrino...) If for nothing else so that when i pull the trigger on it, and then it gets recalled because it over heats and the screens give out and the mother board splits in two i can come back here and blame you :p

    Thanks,
    Derek

    PS it's going to be real hard not to rip that box open when it gets here tomorrow...
     
  12. Macloven macrumors regular

    Macloven

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2008
    #12
    Putting aside whether it's worth it or not, chances are the "old" version will be going on sale if any are left. Might be worth returning it if you can find a clearance to save some $'s.

    I bought mine just over a month before the next release came out, and no regrets from a hardware standpoint, but it hurt seeing how much cheaper it got....

    Mark
     
  13. 530farm thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2010
    #13
    tough decisions.... mine just came in the mail a few minutes ago, and I badly want to open it. But can't decide if i should sell and buy the update.

    On the plus, i was able to get applecare for only 50$ extra, that i will apply to either this or the new model.
     
  14. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #14
    Just return your old unopened models; if you can afford the difference, you'll have less regrets later.

    I ordered one 2 weeks ago; I told myself the same thing: I only need the current model and it will do everything I need; I won't feel bad if they refresh it out of my return date… blah blah blah.

    Yesterday I ordered the updated model and I tried to return the old one only to find I'm 1 day out of the return period; so much for not regretting that I bought a old model at full price only 15 days before the new one…
     
  15. Hellishness macrumors 65816

    Hellishness

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2010
    Location:
    Bay Area, CA
  16. 530farm thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2010
    #16
    i got it off ebay, so it wasn't a simple return. But just sold it to someone on craigslist, for what i got it for, and just ordered the new 15" 2.4 base model for $1650 shipped, hopefully it was worth the 200 and delayed gratification
     
  17. pastparticiple macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    #17
    If you decide to sell it PM me I may be interested. Just don't drop it down the stairs before making the choice ;)

    ETA: I tried to PM you but you have that function turned off or can't use it yet because of post count.
     
  18. waloshin macrumors 68040

    waloshin

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2008
  19. BrianMR macrumors regular

    BrianMR

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2007
    Location:
    USA
    #19
    haha, almost took this one seriously.
     
  20. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

    Mindinversion

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2008
    #20
    TBH I'd see if the old MBPs are now on clearance, and if you can "return" your current machine for a better deal.

    I wouldn't waste money on the new MBPs though. The processor is a decent upgrade [if you do processor intensive things like encoding/decoding, etc] but the "new" graphics really aren't much of a change from the old 9600m. Not surprising, since the 330 series has been around for a year and a half.
     

Share This Page