Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I think the imac pics on the store are a bit deceiving. They show top side and front views. basically any way that they can show the thinness of the edges except the back view. Its like they are trying to make people think the entire depth of the machine is the same thickness as the edges.

they need to man up and show a back view that it does have thickness to it.

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
I think the imac pics on the store are a bit deceiving. They show top side and front views. basically any way that they can show the thinness of the edges except the back view. Its like they are trying to make people think the entire depth of the machine is the same thickness as the edges.

Yep agreed. Was thinking this myself!! i've learnt a lot from Apple over the years. I know longer fall for these tricks or z2 faster.

Edit

Nice machine and thin on the edges but its still looks a bit thick at the back

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac

... go to gallery, then the second image in from the right.
Agreed. Some people are quick to blame Apple for anything they can think of, without being informed. For those who aren't inclined to click a link:
2012-imac-gallery6_GEO_GB

Rizzm

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2012
It's so ridiculous how they were bragging about the thickness of the sides. As if they're going to fool anyone? They should've just tapered it off to a sharp edge on all sides and said it was .1mm thick. :rolleyes:

Sep 10, 2012
Agreed. Some people are quick to blame Apple for anything they can think of, without being informed. For those who aren't inclined to click a link:
2012-imac-gallery6_GEO_GB

... don't get me wrong, I was quick to shout out a few swear words at my TV when they announced that they have updated the iPad already! Ha.

By the way, what do you think of the new iMac? I thinks it's tasty ;)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
By the way, what do you think of the new iMac? I thinks it's tasty ;)
It looks very nice. However, I haven't bought a desktop computer (other than a mini which is primarily a media server) in decades, since I prefer the portability of a notebook. I also prefer an anti-glare display. I'm sure millions will love the new iMac and sales will be high. I'm also sure there will be those who never seem to be happy, no matter what Apple does, or when. My stress-free approach is to buy what I want when I want it, choosing from what's available at the time I need or want something new, and not fretting over what else Apple does or doesn't offer, what update might be looming on the horizon, or what others choose to buy.

Asclepio

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
the black is the new "ultra thin" imac the green is the older ship.
low res pics provided by apple.com

34xmdrr.jpg

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR

Apple does this on many of its products. The MacBook Air is a prime example... it is designed to look razor thin... but it also has similar bulges.

Apples' industrial design is superb... it makes things look much sleeker than they actually are. Apple has done to "thinness" as Disney has done to "forced perspective". Both trick the mind in seeing things as they want you to.

/Jim

Sep 10, 2012
It looks very nice. However, I haven't bought a desktop computer (other than a mini which is primarily a media server) in decades, since I prefer the portability of a notebook. I also prefer an anti-glare display. I'm sure millions will love the new iMac and sales will be high. I'm also sure there will be those who never seem to be happy, no matter what Apple does, or when. My stress-free approach is to buy what I want when I want it, choosing from what's available at the time I need or want something new, and not fretting over what else Apple does or doesn't offer, what update might be looming on the horizon, or what others choose to buy.

... I hear you.

I tend to get pissed when they update their stuff and my stuff therefore becomes old news.

However, I know it's not healthy.

But the iPad being updated well ahead of the usual 1 year time frame has upset a lot of people so I know I'm not alone on that one.

I have said on numerous occasions that I was going to stop following what was going on and refrain from visiting sites such as Mac Rumors but here I am again!

I envy you, buddy ;)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have said on numerous occasions that I was going to stop following what was going on and refrain from visiting sites such as Mac Rumors but here I am again!

I envy you, buddy ;)
Obviously, I don't refrain from frequenting MacRumors, but my spending time in the forum is free from stress or frustration about Apple's product line or update schedule. Apple will make what it wants to make, when it wants to make it. I will buy what I want to buy, when I want to buy it. When those two converge, Apple gets my business. When they don't, I give money to someone else.

WilliamDu

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Missing Port?

Look at the picture of the iMac back on the Apple site:specs view.
Where's the Mini Display Port the page says is installed?

One Still Sheep

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2012
Apple's forte is propaganda; this isn't to say that they don't make decent electronic devices, but their strong suit will always be the ability to make the item seem as though it is more than it is (or in this case I guess it would be less).

To say that an Apple ad is deceiving is kind of silly: that's the point, and they are masters at it. As with all good propaganda, it is not what is explicitly said, but rather what is implied. For example, Apple stresses "design" and implies, by comparison, that competing devices are "not designed." Anyone capable of even elementary logic will realize that EVERY electronic device is designed, but the implication circumvents this obvious truth, leaving the consumer with the impression that Apple, unlike any other company, asks questions about how a device will be used, or how to get the most out of some form factor -- such questions are asked in every R&D department in every company which produces consumer products.

Whether or not Apple is better at design is essentially immaterial, the consumer believes that they are. To pick just a single issue: SD slots. Now the iMac has joined the Mac Mini in placing the SD slot on the back of the device. No one who uses such ports would ever consider this to be a practical choice, but it isn't designed to be functional, it is designed to make the consumer believe the design is functional.

A skeptical eye taken to Apple products will reveal the multitude of design flaws, but their propaganda will ensure that this it not what you remember.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
To say that an Apple ad is deceiving is kind of silly: that's the point, and they are masters at it. As with all good propaganda, it is not what is explicitly said, but rather what is implied.

Lots of weird things about Apple suggest they have special guidance. I think it's some kind of front for Illuminati or something.

MoreAwesomeDanU

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2010
Apple's forte is propaganda; this isn't to say that they don't make decent electronic devices, but their strong suit will always be the ability to make the item seem as though it is more than it is (or in this case I guess it would be less).

To say that an Apple ad is deceiving is kind of silly: that's the point, and they are masters at it. As with all good propaganda, it is not what is explicitly said, but rather what is implied. For example, Apple stresses "design" and implies, by comparison, that competing devices are "not designed." Anyone capable of even elementary logic will realize that EVERY electronic device is designed, but the implication circumvents this obvious truth, leaving the consumer with the impression that Apple, unlike any other company, asks questions about how a device will be used, or how to get the most out of some form factor -- such questions are asked in every R&D department in every company which produces consumer products.

Whether or not Apple is better at design is essentially immaterial, the consumer believes that they are. To pick just a single issue: SD slots. Now the iMac has joined the Mac Mini in placing the SD slot on the back of the device. No one who uses such ports would ever consider this to be a practical choice, but it isn't designed to be functional, it is designed to make the consumer believe the design is functional.

A skeptical eye taken to Apple products will reveal the multitude of design flaws, but their propaganda will ensure that this it not what you remember.

Wow, over analyzing there a little buddy? Apple does lead entire industries by design. Think about what smartphones looked like before the iphone, and take a look around what they look like now. Same with the laptop market before and after the macbook unibody design.

You go to any high end retail store, boom, an iMac sits on the desk at the cashier/employee counter. This new iMac is just gonna add more wow factor to people who buy that for that reason, the design. It's not even up for debate. Nobodys gonna buy an ugly hp/dell box with a plastic bordered monitor and show it off on their desk.

Yea, every company does it, doesn't mean every company can do it successfully. Both GM and Toyota go through similar process in making/marketing cars, and get very different result. It really doesn't mean anything.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012

Agree... I'd probably like the new iMac much more if they didn't harp on about edge width so much... instead, they talk incessantly about "5 millimeters" and I just think, "who are they trying to fool?!?!" At its thickest point, it's about 6 or 7 *TIMES* that thick.

Sorry, but if you want $100 extra vs. the outgoing model, then give me something that's really thin, not just fake-thin.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
It's a bit deceiving, yes, but it's still 40% less volume and 7-8lbs lighter, so Apple still indeed shave off quite a bit.

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
it is called smart marketing and smart engineering, combined.

i mean there has to be a bulge, where else you want to fit the computer?

they're not deceiving anyone:
8 pounds lighter - check
5mm edge - check
%% less volume - check

please OP, don't act like a 13-year old kid.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I look forward to when the back bulge is gone, when its about 5mm thick all across. then I can finally enjoy the imac the way I want to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.