Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshhedge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
Update weighs in at a Hefty 127.07mb, hopefully this will be a good driver update!

Attachments

• untitled.JPEG
    untitled.JPEG
    346.6 KB · Views: 778
Last edited:

joshhedge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
Placebo effect or not, general UI performance seems more snappy on my dual monitor setup for the rPro along with MC being up near 30FPS at 1920*1200 from 20FPS average to around 47FPS.

Edit: Anyone recommend resetting SMC after a graphics update or not?

Onexy

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
This one just flew into my App Store Updates. I'll try to do Benchmarks before and after. I'm excited and hope that Apple made a lot of 3D improvements for games. OpenGL is terribly outdated in OS X.

joshhedge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
This one just flew into my App Store Updates. I'll try to do Benchmarks before and after. I'm excited and hope that Apple made a lot of 3D improvements for games. OpenGL is terribly outdated in OS X.

I'll test a bit of CIV5 at native resolution later and see if it is playable at higher settings!

joshhedge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
Update: So far for CIV5 at 2880*1800 the unit animations seem faster, less jolty, along with tile rendering. Zooming in and out also feels more fluid. I have no way to test FPS within OS X sadly.

zakee00

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2004
Downloading now! Woohoo!

I hope this fixes Safari graphics glitches and the EFI/throttling bug. Today I noticed PowerPoint glitching out as well, when I had previously thought the graphics errors were limited to Safari. Will post results (or lack of results, hopefully :D)

crowbar77

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
scrolling seems much better fluid on sites like facebook now. Hoping it fix the audio stuttering issue as well, no way to tell yet as i only get it occasionally.

zakee00

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2004
Safari seems noticeably snappier (the text disappearing glitch may be fixed, I typed a bunch into Facebook comment fields to test, which is where I was really seeing it before, but no sign of it yet), however scrolling in Finder, Chrome, and Mail does not. The low FPS is most noticeable to me during the elastic pullback effect.

crowbar77

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
audio issue is worse now. Not only that its causing safari to stutter as well when it happens, thanks apple.

Mac Rules

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2006
Europe
Agree with the sentiment that Safari's graphical glitches seem resolved and Facebook/Twitter performance on IGP much improved.

Would be good for someone to get driver version numbers for before/after comparison on the Retina MBP.

Onexy

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
I made a test with Left 4 Dead 2.

Before:
Constantly around 28 FPS on my MacBook Pro with Retina display.

After:
From 26 FPS up to 40 FPS sometimes. Couldn't feel the improvement, though.

zakee00

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2004
Agree with the sentiment that Safari's graphical glitches seem resolved and Facebook/Twitter performance on IGP much improved.

Would be good for someone to get driver version numbers for before/after comparison on the Retina MBP.

Spoke too soon. I just got some text glitches in Safari :( ugh. I hope this gets fixed in the next OSX update. This is Apple's most expensive damn computer.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
Anyone know why they didn't release this for the 13" rMBP (not that I have it)? Have tried it out at the Apple store, and a lot of people also say it has less lag than the 15" rMBP.

Could it be that the 13" rMBP already was optimized with a similar update prior to release, and that Apple is releasing it for the June 2012 Macbooks now?

Onexy

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
I made a test with Left 4 Dead 2.
OK, TOTAL BULLS***!

Just found out that my MacBook Pro with Retina Display (15") suffered the SMC bug. Now I have constantly 60FPS (limited to this number) and can't compare to before.

Waiting for some benchmark / fps results from other people.

jaziCo

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2009
SoCal (Orange County)
so Last night I so happened to GeekBench my machine (comparing it to my colleagues new Alienware)

Before - 12000

After - 11960

I was freaking out a little....

So I reset SMC + PRAM

Results = 12006

interesting...

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
so Last night I so happened to GeekBench my machine (comparing it to my colleagues new Alienware)

Before - 12000

After - 11960

So I reset SMC + PRAM

Results = 12006

interesting...

"Geekbench provides a comprehensive set of benchmarks engineered to quickly and accurately measure processor and memory performance. Designed to make benchmarks easy to run and easy to understand, Geekbench takes the guesswork out of producing robust and reliable benchmark results."

http://www.primatelabs.com/geekbench/

No GPU performance tested here :p

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Can't say I notice much difference. Still get glitching at the top of the screen when opening/closing folders in Launchpad, and on the far right edge of the AirDrop Finder window.

Things might be a bit smoother, but then I've been impressed by the smoothness since I got it.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia

Before - 12000, +/- 50

After - 11960, +/- 50

So I reset SMC + PRAM

Results = 12006, +/- 50

interesting...

I fixed that for you. So in other words, neither the update or resetting SMC/PRAM made any difference to your CPU, RAM or SSD speed.

joshhedge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
From what I was able to find, the drivers have been updated. Does anyone know how these compare to the windows drivers?

Open GL drivers before update: NVIDIA-8.0.61
Open GL drivers after update: NVIDIA-8.6.22

joshhedge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
Just reset my PRAM and SMC, will report back with game performance later :cool:

Edit: At 1920*1200 MC performance with a 128* texture pack is at around 90FPS, over doubled after the reset. Awesome.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

Before - 12000

After - 11960

So I reset SMC + PRAM

Results = 12006

All within reasonable statistical error margin...

Edit: Erasmus beat me to it ^^

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010

Before - 12000

After - 11960

So I reset SMC + PRAM

Results = 12006

interesting...

Not only is this completely useless but geekbench doesn't even tell you anything about graphics performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.