148gb but only 130gb available?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zblaxberg, Apr 20, 2007.

1. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

I got a 160 gb hard drive. Is the operating system really taking up 12gb or 18gb of space? What's going on here? I don't have anything installed except adium and firefox!! :confused:

edit: is there anything I can take off? I just got the macbook pro today...

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The default OS X installation takes up about 20 GB due to all of the bundled software. Printer drivers, GarageBand loops, and iDVD themes are some of the major space hogs.

You can delete some of these things if you want, but you might want to give some of the apps a try even if you don't think you're want them. You've got a nice big drive for your laptop, so it may not be crucial that you free up the space.

3. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Garageband, extra languages, things like that.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13503
    This link above is for the application DeLocalizer, it gets rid of the extra langauages.

Garageband has loops installed in there, that takes up a few gigs as well.

4. zblaxberg thread starter Guest

zblaxberg

Any idea how much space the delocalizer would free up? Is it worth doing it? Have you done it?

5. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Since you just got your system, it's easy to install fresh from the included installation DVD. When you see the window that says "Easy Install", click it and pick "Custom". You'll be given the chance to deselect many languages and printer drivers, as well as iLife pieces and iWork trial versions. All in all, you can save maybe 6 GB or so (just an estimate). I just did this recently for other reasons.

6. carlos700 macrumors regular

carlos700

The maximum usable capacity for ANY 160GB hard drive is 148GB. That is not a Mac or Windows thing. For a rough estimate of usable capacity multiply the labeled amount by 93%. For example a 500GB hard drive has 465GB usable capacity.

7. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I've used Monolingual and it'll free up around 1-2GB of space by deleting languages you do not want. I also suggest going into font manager and deleting doubles of fonts you've got and going under username/library/printers and trashing the majority of the printer drivers there that you likely won't use. If anything, when you buy a printer, it includes the drivers on cd so you can re-install them as the need arises.

8. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Not quite - the maximum available space for a 160GB drive is just as it says ... 160GB.

It's just that hard drive manufacturers count 1GB=1000x1000x1000 bytes, while software counts 1GB=1024x1024x1024 bytes.

Either way, the capacity is exactly the same ... you don't "lose" any disk space.

9. BigJohno macrumors 65816

My new MBP is going to get here soon!!!! Just wondering how long it take when you put the osx disk in and costume install it?

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

~30 minutes.

11. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

Not my thread but thanks for the language remover and printer suggestions.. I just saved about 1.1gb because of it, and thats pretty big for 30gb iBook.

Btw- I kept the HP Printer folder, and kept all english (Aussie and Brit, American is kept by default with Delocalizer)

12. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I've done it on every machine I've owned, it can remove a gig or 2 from your machine so it's prettty nice.

13. IAmNotMyName macrumors newbie

Hey, just wanted to say thanks! After reading this thread I ran delocalizer and it freed up over 3 Gigs of space. Cool. :)

Next I'm going to go after those print drivers...

14. akadmon macrumors 68020

I don't think that's correct. The 500GB drive formats to around 465 GB. If what you said was right, the number would be 488 GB.

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I get 465.661287307739 not 488...

16. drumforfun19 macrumors regular

drumforfun19

dude. that helped me free up 3 gigs, thanks.

17. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

ReadThis on how hard drive sizes are figured out

Do we got a norwegian Dr Q in the making ?? ;) ;)

18. Samwise592 macrumors regular

can you delete printer drivers without having to do a clean install? is there any advantage of doing a clean install?

oh, off topic... but in the "custom" installer menu... what is "X11"?

19. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

No, this has been discussed dozens of times in the past. 500 GigaBytes = 465 GibiBytes.

Just, no one uses gibibytes. Hence the confusion.

It's the X server. It's not used so much now, but it's needed for many unix->OS X ports. Like OpenOffice.

20. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

yes you can. Go to Macintosh HD->Library->Printers-> then delete all those folders for the printers you do not use.

I got rid of a 1 gig worth of printer drivers doing that.

21. drumforfun19 macrumors regular

drumforfun19

If you're really cramped on space you can get rid of the OSX desktop backgrounds you don't use. but it's only like 300 Mb or so.. So I guess you'd have to be really cramped on space.