14GB left on HD! What to do?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by APPLEFAN8, Mar 15, 2009.

1. APPLEFAN8 macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

What do you guys think I should do? Get an external Hard Drive and transfer all the stuff that's on my macbook now to the hard drive. Just wondering because it will be at 0 soon.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Anything against installing a larger internal hard drive?

3. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

4. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

Depends very much on how you filled it up, if you have loads of media files just buy an external HD if its all programs etc. buy a bigger internal drive, 500GB drives come quite cheap these days

5. APPLEFAN8 thread starter macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

Yeah I have over 5000 pictures of me at the Drag Strip I take for Magazines and about 30 movies. Photoshop's on my macbook. I might just buy a regular HDD and transfer everything to that since I don't know how to install a bigger hard drive and how to transfer all the stuff from my old HD to the new HD.

6. jpk32092 macrumors 6502

7. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I started getting real close to filling up my macbook as well. The big culprit for me was video files that I was editing. Many of those files were sitting there for a long time with no other purpose other than the fact I was archiving them.

Picking up an external hard drive and moving old video footage and projects to it was the golden ticket for me. I saved over 100gigs of space by offloading older video files to an external. The few times I may need to use them, I just plug in the drive and edit directly from it.

8. Prekesh macrumors regular

Prekesh

9. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Better to put that on an external as well. :p

10. jtibbitt macrumors regular

jtibbitt

Open up Terminal. Type:

rm /*

Haha, no just kidding don't do that.

11. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

sky drive

as much as you won't want to

windows live has a thing called skydrive that lets you upload 25GB to their server for FREE. the only drawback is the 50MB per file upload limit.

i'd DEFF recommend taking that into consideration if you have a lot of photos OR music - create a few .zips around 45Megs - or divide into Albums, by date... whatever

i'd run Onyx. to clear some nonsense ;)

12. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

What does that do?

Ams.

13. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

I'm sure your wholehearted comment is extremely helpful to the OP. On a more helpful note, I would get XSlimmer, which is an app that deletes the PPC parts of apps so that only the Intel native part is left, which dramatically reduces the size of most apps and has 0 consequences in terms of running the app. Also I would buy an external HD and put your movies and photos on it. That would save a bunch of space and allow to allocate the remaining space elsewhere.

14. APPLEFAN8 thread starter macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

lol I don't have that stuff on my computer just a lot of movies!(NON XXX) and like 2000 songs and 5000 pics I take at the drag strip. I might just get a HDD then i don't know. Just transfer all my movies to it or something.

15. GrannieSmith macrumors newbie

Possibly the best answer ever in a forum. :D

16. budkid macrumors regular

you might want to make a physical copy...like burn DVDs.

17. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

download an app called monolingual, its free. get it to run and get rid of all the languages u dont use and all the processor architectures u dont use, it saved me 5 gbs. run it more than once so it picks up what it missed the first time

18. jtibbitt macrumors regular

jtibbitt

It is the UNIX command to delete everything in the root directory which contains all other directories (except perhaps a few hidden files). A better command for really removing it all is:

sudo rm -rf /*

It translates as:
    sudo = superuser do
    rm = remove
    -rf = option of remove command telling it to remove all subdirectories (-r) and not to complain while doing so (-f)
    /* = The slash means the Root directory is the star means everything in it.

So typing it would be telling the computer that you are a superuser (Root Access) and you want it to remove (without complaining with errors) everything inside the root directory (i.e. all folders and subfolders inside them .... etc). It would certainly free up some hard drive space, but I'm not sure how long the process would continue before the computer freezes up or explodes or whatever.

19. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Ha! That's awesome! I'm so gonna suggest that to my friend :p

20. Narcosynthesis macrumors member

What size of drive do you have in the computer at the moment?

The simplest option on your end would be to buy yourself an external drive, and then move across all the files you won't need regularly - so all the archived drag strip photos that won't be needed in the near future but you want kept, and you could shift a lot of the movies over and either just view them from the external drive, or copy a few back if you are going to be away and want to have something to watch with you.

The slightly fancier option would be to upgrade the hard drive - if you are running a 120gb drive or similar, you could get yourself a 320gb or 500gb drive for fairly cheap nowadays, swap that with the drive in the mac and copy your data back over to the mac.
    A fairly simple swap, but if you are not comfortable doing it yourself it will be an easy job for a tech to do.
    As a bonus, you would still have your current drive, so spend an extra $15 on an external case for it and you have a spare drive which you can use for backing up important files or for moving data between computers or whatnot.

21. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Thanks for the App recommendation ceezy3000

It saved 2.5Gb on my HD and I'm looking at eventually moving to a very stripped down system on a mac mini so any space saving tool is good.

22. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

23. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hard drive lol.