14GB upgrade only shows as 12GB

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Julien, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

My Mac Pro (3,1) came with 2GB and have upgraded in the past with 8GB for 10GB (no problem). I just bought a 4GB RAM set but it only shows as 12GB. I thought the RAM was defective and had it replaced but still have the same problem. I have it set up as follows. Riser A 2GB+2GB, 2GB+2GB: Riser B 2GB+2GB, 1GB+1GB. This follows the Mac Pro install chart.

Is there a problem using 1GB (2) RAM on Riser B with 2GB RAM on Riser A (it worked fine with 10GB)? Is it not possible to show 14GB because of this?

2. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

In "About This Mac", what does the graphical representation if the memory slots show? Does it match up to physical install?

3. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Those riser cards can be a bit temperamental. Try reinserting them a few times and try cleaning the contacts on the edge of the riser cards with a pencil eraser (remember to clean off debris left by the eraser).

4. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

No, it should be 2GB & 2GB in Riser B slots 1&2.
    [​IMG]

I have swapped changed RAM on Riser B and checked/reinserted many times. I will try moving the new RAM to Riser A and see if it shows up 4GB instead of 2GB.

5. NOTNlCE macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

Had a similar problem a little while ago while mixing RAM speeds (something that's advised against, but whatever) - My solution was to mix the pairs up. The pairing on the '08s has a lot to do with how the RAM is recognized. I would move it into every configuration you can, even if it means swapping RAM on the risers. Also, check the dust around or on the risers, I had a small particle stuck on the connector and it was preventing any RAM from being recognized properly on that riser. A nice can of compressed air or a very gentle air compressor can take care of that. Good luck to you.
    -N

6. netkas macrumors 65816

Have an issue with one of 2gb (config 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2) planks being overheating and disabled by efi after reboot. So on cold(literally !) boot I have 12 gb, after some work and reboot - 10 gb.

maybe ur's overheats too ?

7. jaxhunter macrumors regular

jaxhunter

I once had a set of RAM sticks from Kingston that said 2GB Kit on the side of each stick; they were a matched pair of 1GB sticks that came as part of a 2GB kit. Kingston apparently thought they were funny...