14GB's of "other"

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Shlooky, May 27, 2014.

1. Shlooky macrumors regular

I have an 32GB iPhone 5, when I connect to itunes it shows a whopping 14GB's of other!!!!! :eek:
    I did what everyone else does to clear it, like removing history and other stuff from various applications, notes etc. but that only amounted to MB's.

Is iCloud and iTunes Match messed up?

Any ideas? Thanks.

2. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

Try unsyncing your music through iTunes and then re-sync

3. tinktink09is macrumors newbie

I had the same issue with my iPhone 5S and the ONLY way that I was able to get it completely fixed was to reset from the device WITHOUT being plugged into my laptop. Once my device was reset fully and I was on the home screen, I plugged into my laptop with iTunes open, synced, and the issue was gone.

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Restore your phone as NEW and reinstall all your apps..problem will be solved.

My "other" is 1.2GB.

5. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

How on earth did you not notice earlier??
    Seems to me that you'd be ok with a 16GB iPhone and could have saved yourself some money.

6. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Do you send iMessage photos & videos? Delete your messages data and it'll probably shrink.

7. tvguy macrumors member

tvguy

I had the same issue... Had to reinstall as new, than reloaded backed up file and the 5gig of OTHER was gone. But, OTHER is starting to creep up in size again.

8. Shlooky thread starter macrumors regular

Many thanks everyone for your kind responses. I did restore as new and my other shrunk to 1.68GB.

Cheers!:)

9. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

1.6 gb of other is still pretty high, my retina mini 32gb has 800mb and it is full of games, photos and cache from apps.

10. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

You can't compare a iPad to an iphone. My iPhone sits at 1.2GB with not much installed.

11. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

Depends on the apps and if the OP has music, album art will be placed in the Other category, high resolution album art take a lot of space (1000x1000+). I've noticed books sometimes gets thrown in Other while other times it gets its own category.

12. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Lets face it. Apple needs to provide a better way to reduce or delete this Other data.

13. WB2Colorado macrumors regular

WB2Colorado

Apple needs a better way to manage data period. And better multitasking, but that's a discussion for another day.

14. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Wasn't the "OTHER" stuff related to saved text messages and MMS?

15. thekb macrumors 6502a

Oh! Is that all? Well that seems easy. What a very Microsoft-esque solution! When I had a PC, I would reformat and reinstall everything once a year to keep my computer running. Haven't done it once since switching to Mac.

Seriously, you shouldn't have to go through all that to delete junk. Apple needs to FIX this.

16. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

I agree with you 100%.
    I made a similar observation in another thread.
    For God's sakes Apple, give us a utility of some sort in iOS to clear caches and "Other" garbage so we don't have to pull a Windows 95 and do a clean install periodically to get rid of this crap!

17. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

The 'App' space refers strictly to the binaries and the core part of the app required to run, created when installed.

'Other' is all the other data all your apps create. Photo caches, advertisement caches, newsfeed cache, news article cache, file caches, etc etc.

YES, Apple needs a better way to wipe this! The current way is to completely delete the app, then re-install it so it can start fresh bloating itself all over again.

Tedious to do if you have dozens... or hundreds of apps. Easier to just wipe entire OS, Windows 95 style.

Attached Files:

18. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

actually what they really need is a way to figure out what it is. Because if they were a little more descriptive then you would realize that the issue isn't Apple but Gmail dumping your "All Mail" 8 times on your iPad.

Perhaps the only thing Apple needs to provide is a way to purge iTunes Match data without having to reset a device completely. That is the one screwup they have made

----------

Or perhaps the apps need to do a better job with their data. After all they created it, not Apple

19. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I don't disagree.

But the problem is far too widespread.

20. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Well, there is rumor that iOS 8 is going to handle iMessages better allowing you to delete media files that are received via iMessages. so that's a good start.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

Doesn't iOS 7 allow for that already? Or are you saying a different (simpler) flow to do things of that nature?

22. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

iOS 8 is supposed to actually delete media files that are attached to iMessages when you delete the iMessage thread itself. I don't believe it works like that now.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

I do recall there being a bug that got in the way of that happening in the past, but if I remember correctly it was fixed in one of the iOS 6 updates or at the very least when iOS 7 came out.