14th November Possible New Release Date?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by lloyd709, Nov 9, 2011.

  1. lloyd709 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2008
    #1
  2. goMac macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2004
    #2
    Note: The lack of an announcement on November 14th does not necessarily imply the Mac Pro is dead.

    ...Just wanted to say this before everyone freaks out. :p
     
  3. Umbongo macrumors 601

    Umbongo

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2006
    Location:
    England
    #3
    Never happened before on any of their Intel based Macs, and Xeons (Sandy Bridge-EP) aren't now expected until 2012.
     
  4. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2009
    Location:
    Australia
    #4
    It might be interesting...

    Perhaps Apple will announce new Mac Pro's soon to crush any fears that they're leaving the professional market. Professional's do need to plan ahead, yeah? They pay the earth for the software they use, they'd want to be sure they'll be able to keep running it (i.e the ability to upgrade to new compatible hardware)?
     
  5. keantan macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2008
    Location:
    Penang, Malaysia
    #6
    If this were true that would really suck. My new MP is getting delivered today. Hopefully I can take advantage of the UK's 30 day return policy. And upgrade? o_O
     
  6. khollister macrumors 6502a

    khollister

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2003
    Location:
    Orlando, FL
    #7
    Don't worry - unless Intel has been lying through their teeth, there is no way the SB-e Xeon's are being released this month. Unfortunately, I think new Mac Pro's (and any other Xeon-based MP workstations regardless of OS) are at least 5-6 months away thanks to Intel slow-rolling the new Xeon chips.

    The only way the MP would be updated before then is if Apple decided to go ahead and drop in TB and SATAIII now. However, that would be believable only if they have decided to pass on SB-e and wait on the Ivy Bridge parts or EOL the MP altogether. It is very hard to believe 2 MP updates within 6 months.
     
  7. theSeb macrumors 604

    theSeb

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2010
    Location:
    Poole, England
    #8
    Silicon Graphics have mentioned that they are planning to roll out their Sandy Bridge Xeon upgrades in January 2012. November seems like an unlikely date.
     
  8. keantan macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2008
    Location:
    Penang, Malaysia
    #9
    I had considered that. I have some comfort knowing that even with the specification I bought (2.4 Octo) that'll last me a long time either way so I'm hardly disappointed. UPS JUST dropped it off. The only thing I would upgrade later on probably is the graphics card. Or the HD. The rest is fine :)
     
  9. Kimmo, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011

    Kimmo macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2011
    #10
    Yep, that would cause complaints that they upgrade the MP too frequently. :)
     
  10. damir00 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2011
    #11
    Honestly, at this point I'd be happy if all they announced were the 5770/5870 replacements!
     
  11. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2009
    #12
    The missing elements from the 3600 series ( namely everything except the single processor released ) is what is primarily screwing up the Mac Pro line up. Without those (i.e., Xeon E5 1600 series ) there isn't much substantive difference than trotting out 3 year old board design with speed bumps. Either fix it or leave it alone.

    Given little new news on PCI-e v3.0 final compliance test specs and Xeon vendors needing to restart the deployed test systems "check out" phase with the fixed E5's it probably will not be until January. Intel can handle the temporary bubble of new i7 versions of the chip and when that smooths out can add the E5 flavors to the runs. Nobody is going to introduce anything in December so that gives the vendors time to build up some inventory over the break.

    If Apple announced anything it would be "In January we are going to..."

    ----------

    There are some coming this month but they all have broken virutalization implementations. The upcoming "Top 500 Supercomputers" will likely have some Xeon E5's on it. (and don't need virtual OS images on supercomputer nodes. )


    However, unless you are cheering for Apple ship with broken ones, they'll arrive later.

    However, the 2-3 months after the Intel release for systems ... that's highly unlikely. There are a number of designs just waiting for the final parts at this stage.
     
  12. xgman macrumors 601

    xgman

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2007
    #13
    Who knows. Anything is possible (or not) at this point. Everything seems to be up in the air regarding the Mac Pro. A rethink is logical. Time will tell.
     
  13. Steelgrave macrumors member

    Steelgrave

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2011
    #14
    I would guess next week we'll start seeing more on the processor's and chipsets coming from Intel. The rumor mill will likely really start churning on the new MP's as well.

    I don't see Apple actually announcing anything until January/February sometime, perhaps some sort of "Back to the Pro" type of event. Could even coincide with the rumored new MBP's coming without optical drives.
     
  14. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

    DisMyMac

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2009
    #15
    Only a couple hours left... What time do they announce stuff usually?
     
  15. thekev macrumors 604

    thekev

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2010
    #16
    A mac pro update pre 2012 is quite unlikely. They also typically update on tuesdays.
     
  16. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2009
    Location:
    Australia
    #17
    I think hes referring to the Intel Sandy Bridge E announcement.
     
  17. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

    Redneck1089

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2004
    #18
    I'm in the market (not desperately needing one tho) for a new Mac Pro. I don't mind waiting, but damn I'm scared of the Mac Pro cancellation rumours. :( Keep praying they aren't true.
     
  18. fox10078 macrumors 6502

    fox10078

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2009
    #19
    I wouldn't be surprised if they announced what it was going to be, and said shipping in 90 days. That gives around 3 months, and they can push it back a little if need be.
     
  19. khollister macrumors 6502a

    khollister

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2003
    Location:
    Orlando, FL
    #20
    Apple will want the Xeon 8 core part available, not the 6 core i7 "Extreme" parts available today.
     
  20. nanofrog macrumors G4

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    #21
    With the mention of the D (presume D0) stepping not releasing until "much later next year", we may yet have a fair wait on the Xeons (last line in the linked article).

    Assuming this last line is correct, the LGA2011 delays are really starting to concern me in terms of future release dates.
     
  21. theSeb macrumors 604

    theSeb

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2010
    Location:
    Poole, England
    #22
    Does anyone know of decent articles with "reasonable" assumptions of how Ivy bridge consumer CPUs will compare to Sandy Bridge E?
     
  22. nanofrog macrumors G4

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    #23
    I've not spotted any articles yet, but it shouldn't be too different than comparing LGA1155 to current LGA1366 parts = major performance gains are due to the I/O differences between the sockets (more memory channels, increased memory capacity, and more PCIe lanes on the larger socket; and in some cases, additional features such as Turbo Boost, Hyper Threading, and additional instructions/improvements for Virtualization, depending on the exact parts being compared).
     
  23. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2009
    #24
    The article said D remove all issues. Not the "show stopper" issues. C3 is likely what Xeon would release on. These are large dies and it will take a while for vendors to validate and then volume to crank up (as the desktop volume goes to steady state after launch bubble. )

    What processor has had zero stepping tweaks after release? Of course they are working on another. They always do.
     
  24. nanofrog macrumors G4

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    #25
    I realize this, but what has me concerned, is the number of steppings this close to the release of the SP consumer parts (will initially release with C1 from what I recall from another article).

    If we were talking about a year or so between the consumer series and the SB-5E Xeon release, that would be more understandable. But we should be dealing with less than that (figuring ~ 6 months on the outside), and we're talking about another two steppings before enough errata can be eliminated before they can release those (as you say, C3 is likely to be the first Xeon stepping). I'm not sure if they'll hold off until the die shrink for D steppings (would like to see more on the errata specifics with C3 and later).

    Xeon 50xx (C1 only)
    Xeon 51xx (B2 only)

    Granted the socket was a lot smaller (LGA771), but it has happened in the past.
     

Share This Page