15" 1.67Ghz PowerBook

Alex AMG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2003
Minneapolis
I just placed an order for a 15" 1.67Ghz, 1.5Gb RAM, 128MB VRAM machine. I do a lot of travelling and battery life is a big issue for me. Assuming that now powerbooks ship with faster hard drives, which is gonna further eat into their usable battery charge, what is a realistic expectation of the charge timewise? 2hours max?

People who already got theirs, could you please comment?

Thanks!

P.S. What's the deal with this "ship on or before Feb 24th"? :mad:

geoffism

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
NYC
Alex AMG said:
P.S. What's the deal with this "ship on or before Feb 24th"? :mad:
I can't comment on battery life, but based on my passed experience (I travel a lot and have an old Ti PB), I went ahead an purchased a second battery.

I pulled this from an earlier thread:
Dave Marsh said:
The PowerBooks use Lithium-ion batteries.

Apple recommends this:
Recharge Lithium-ion batteries when they become depleted. Although they are not subject to the memory effect, it is suggested that you let the battery drain fully before recharging.

This means let the PowerBook run until it goes to sleep (battery reports 0% time left), then plug it in and let it recharge to full. The battery includes a microprocessor that reports back to the laptop its status. By letting the battery run down, it actually drains to a predetermined minimum power level that will protect whatever is still occupying memory. At that point the microprocessor records this power level as its minimum and starts calculating its full power level as it recharges. This is called reconditioning the battery, and should be done periodically whenever the time remaining displayed in the menu bar appears to be incorrect. The microprocessor in the battery is calculating its time remaining based on the laptop's power drain, so the time remaining will go up and down depending on your usage.

After conditioning the battery, it's perfectly OK to recharge your laptop anytime you're through using it. This is what I do. When I'm done for the night, I simply plug it in.

There is a shareware tool for checking on the status of your battery called XBattery that's available at http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12649 :cool:

One final thing: If you elect to purchase a replacement battery later from a third party (non-Apple), read the fine print. Some of these batteries do NOT perform this convenient "go to sleep when power is low" feature, and will simply drain themselves dry, deleting whatever is in RAM, and effectively performing an ungraceful shutdown of the Mac.
On the shipping... for some reason all the 15" ae scheduled to deliver on or around the 23rd. I ordered mine on the 31st, with an original ship date of the 7th, and it got bumped to the 23rd. We'll see.

It sucks, but whatcha gonna do?

Good luck!

Solafaa

macrumors 6502a
Two mistakes,

1- Get RAM from 3rd party, its much cheaper.
2- 128 Video RAM is not much better then 64, i tryed it on my 17" and there are not much difference.

I would change the battry every 6months-1year if i was you, just to make sure things works right.

Alex AMG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2003
Minneapolis
Solafaa said:
Two mistakes,

1- Get RAM from 3rd party, its much cheaper.
2- 128 Video RAM is not much better then 64, i tryed it on my 17" and there are not much difference.

I would change the battry every 6months-1year if i was you, just to make sure things works right.
#1 I wasn't clear enough. I ordered a 1G chip from a third party. :)
#2 - You will use it when Tiger comes out.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
My 1.5 ghz Powerbook lasts about 2.25 hours with a little above normal use and everything set the way i normally use it. If i actually tried to conserve battery life, i bet i could get it to atleast 2.5 hours. The battery itself takes about 2 hours to charge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.