'15/15" 2.2i7 or '16/13" 2.4i7?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sterlingindigo, May 12, 2017.

1. sterlingindigo macrumors 6502

sterlingindigo

Well today I'm that guy asking the vs. question. In my defense, I've googled the scat out of this and am admittedly suffering from an OCD induced information overload.

So, I'm looking for a consumer replacement for my 11" MBA but also want to get more into (10%-25% of the time) short video creation/editing ie FCPX, LPX, Motion, Compressor, Main Stage... For what it's worth, longevity and bang for the buck are more of a concern than portability.

Will a spec'd out '16/13" Non touch bar (2.4 i7/16gb) do the trick or should I grab a '15/15" (2.2 i7/16gb) for the extra cores? Of note: I can only afford the 2.2 base model '15/15". Also, I can wait a few weeks, not really a few months in the optimistic likelihood we'll see small spec bumps in June.

Also open to any other ideas; spec'd out '14/15" (NVIDIA) , '16/12" MacBook, etc.

Much thanks!

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

'15/15". The CPU will make a massively positive difference for your usage over the '16/13".

3. CaptRB macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

Well, don't buy into the silly idea that the older Mac is better. It's not. I sold mine after getting both the 13" and 15" Touch Bar models. The new tMBP models were so much more advanced that it knocked a minority of users out of their comfort zone. Like old men clinging to their favorite chairs, they bought an ancient and dated machine. It worked for them and it certainly helped Apple.

Unless you're in the minority who can't adapt to the new keyboard, or have squid suckers that stick to the big trackpad, these are the best yet from Apple.

The only thing to consider is that we're about to hit the summer months and the next revisions aren't that far off, so if you can wait it out just a bit longer, it could be worthwhile.

R.

4. sterlingindigo thread starter macrumors 6502

sterlingindigo

Agreed, newer is better, all things being equal. But will the '16/13" be able to handle the light/moderate video editing I'm intending?

5. CaptRB macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

I use these machines for pro photo work and don't edit much video. Best to have someone with more video experience on these give the right answer.

R.

6. sterlingindigo thread starter macrumors 6502

sterlingindigo

Yeah, the quad core bench's similarly in single core tasks but has almost double the score for multi core. I think '15/15" also has the Iris Pro 5200 graphics if I'm not mistaken. Also better than the Iris 540 in the '16/13"?

7. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Agreed with CaptRB about the 2016s being better than the 2015s, but as you said you were asking between 15" 2015 and 13" 2016, which is a different ballpark entirely!

The quad core CPU will make a huge, huge difference for what you'll be using it for. Again definitely go with the 15" 2015. If money was no object, then the 15" 2016 without question as those dGPUs absolutely scream for your usage. If not, '15/15". :)

8. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

Well, the CPU tier in the 2015 you are considering is arguably vastly superior to the CPU in the 2016 tier you are considering with certain workloads. However, the iGPU in the 2016 can't be overlooked, nor can the 2016's insanely fast SSD.

The CPU in my 2014 15-inch craps all over the CPU in my 2016 13-inch base...to a point where it is comical with certain tasks. However, the iGPU in the 2016 13-inch base-model is comparable to the dGPU in the flagship 2014 15-inch, and the SSD in the 2016 13-inch is around 3-4 times faster than the SSD in my 2014 15-inch with the 512 SSD (IIRC the 2014s with the 1 TB SSD use twice the PCIe lanes than the 256/512 sizes.)

9. sterlingindigo thread starter macrumors 6502

sterlingindigo

Now I'm thinkin Ima try to stretch up to the base '16. I'll prolly pull the trigger next week (14 days before WWDC) just to hedge my bet.

10. Patcell macrumors 6502

As others have said, the quad-core Crystalwell CPU in the 2015 15" is VASTLY superior to the dual-core Skylake I7 in the 2016 13" for multi-threaded workloads. This will make a big difference in video editing tasks; shorter export times and smoother playback of un-rendered clips in the timeline. For example, in Adobe Premier Pro, the GPU is not used when playing back un-rendered video in the timeline; that is a solely CPU-dependent task.

Also, as far as I am aware, the Iris Pro 5200 is roughly comparable to the Iris 540 in the base 2016 13" model. Even if the Iris 540 is marginally faster, that will not make up for the vast superiority of the quad-core CPU in the 2015 15".

But if you do spring for the base 2016 15", the Radeon Pro 450 will make some difference in export times over the Iris Pro 5200. If you do decide on the 2016 15", I'd buy through the online Apple education store - I do not believe there is any verification. They will also honor the education pricing in the store; I have never been asked to verify my student/ faculty status when purchasing from the Apple Store.

Good luck!

11. sterlingindigo thread starter macrumors 6502

sterlingindigo

Cool, thanks. Yeah I've an edu email but I think I'll save a few more bones/ get a few more features in the refurb shop and pop for the Apple care. I hope they still have the edu video app pack for 2 hundo next week. Now that I think of it, it prolly wouldn't hurt to just grab that now...

12. Patcell macrumors 6502

Good thinking! The refurb store is a great way to go. The product is fully backed by Apple. And, yes, the edu app pack is a great buy.