15" & 17" MBP Display Replacement (Glossy to Anti-Glare) possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Baklava, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Baklava macrumors 6502a

Baklava

Hello all,

couldn't find anything similar with the search engine, so sorry if I'm reposting.

There are some refurbished Macs with attractive prices in the Online Apple Store but the problem is, most of them are glossy. I guess the current MacBook Pros will also be listed as refurbished after the refresh (hopefully) this month. So my question: is there a possibility to replace the glossy display with an anti glare afterwards?

Thanks...

2. mikeherdes macrumors member

Yes, but ebay is likely your only option if you want to keep your costs low.

You will have to remove the glass from your macbook, then remove the LCD display. It would take quite a bit of time, and you would have to ensure that your replacement LCD would be the right match for your macbook. I would be careful though, items on ebay are often not OEM or as high quality as others.

3. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

4. Picho macrumors member

Get a $39 glossy-to-matte film kit at the Apple Store and you're done.

It's basically the same thing used on iPhones and Touches, but for your mac, it's from the same company and it's Apple approved (they sell it at the Apple Store).

Works great and you can remove it anytime you want and reapply it.

5. kolax macrumors G3

Don't get the film.

And if you upgrade the screen yourself, you'll void your warranty. I'm selling my MBP with anti-glare display if you are UK based.