15" 2.2 MBP vs. 15" 2.4 MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CuriousGeorgeNC, Jun 12, 2007.

  1. CuriousGeorgeNC macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2007
    #1
    If you had the option of getting a 2.4 for about $250 more than the 2.2 MBP, would you do it? Trying to decide if the better hardware can justify the cost...thanks for your insights!
     
  2. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

    Roy Hobbs

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2005
    #2
    For $250 yes, the usual $500 No
     
  3. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    #3
    I would too probably, though depending on what you use it for, the extra video RAM is more valuable.
     
  4. pavloskgr macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2006
    #4
    i have the same.....

    ....dilemma! Is it worth? i mean that extra video memory, will it make huge difference, making the $500 reasonable? I don't know.....
     
  5. Flaki macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 14, 2007
    #5
    get the 2,2 MBP and the mbp 2,4 is not worth 500$


    saw a gaming preformance benchmark and the 2,4 was around 5-9% faster than the 2,2
     
  6. Whiteapple macrumors regular

    Whiteapple

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2006
    Location:
    Haute Savoie,France
    #6
    no it won't.

    the 256mb is a rip-off.

    http://www.barefeats.com/rosa03.html

    (considering you don't want to play on a 30" display and/or want a more "future proof" card, when games will require (even) more texture ram. The 8600m gt isn't a high end card anyways.
     
  7. CuriousGeorgeNC thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2007
    #7
    For $500 I wouldn't do it but for $250 I am wondering if its really worth it...I am leaning towards no but trying to gauge if that's the best move...
     
  8. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    #8
    Are you planning on gaming on it? If so, the upgrade is probably worth it. Although RAM on video cards is often used as a marketing ploy (selling low end cards with tons of RAM that they can't use), in this case, 128MB is pretty low. I think 256 will legitimately give it a longer life.

    Aside from gaming, the only other reason might be if you're going to be using it frequently with a super high resolution external screen. I think a normal 1280x1024 resolution 128MB is fine, but if you're running a huge display the extra RAM might help
     
  9. CuriousGeorgeNC thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2007
    #9
    Wolfpup, I'll be using Flight Sim X sparingly on the machine and I played it on the 128MB version and thought it was pretty decent which is why the upgrade is weighing on me a bit because all in all the quality with the lower-end card was fine for me.
     
  10. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    #10
    Flight Sim X seems to eat hardware alive from what I've been hearing over on the Dell forums, so personally I'd go for the 2.4Ghz/256MB system. I know there are people over there who have overhauled their whole systems to play it well, and act like 2GB of main RAM isn't even enough :eek:
     
  11. pieman02 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2007
    #11
    How are you getting it for only $250 more? If I could do this I would, because I plan on having a MBP for a couple of years, and who knows (especially for games) what video will be required in the future...but how do u make the gap only $250!?
     
  12. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    #12
    Yeah, good question! I should have thought to ask that. I'm still trying to talk myself in to a Macbook Pro, so if I can get some kind of discount...
     
  13. CuriousGeorgeNC thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2007
    #13
    Had a problem with the 2.2MBP and the manager of the Apple Store offered to make up half the difference for an upgrade to the next one up.
     
  14. Spoony Bard macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2007
    #14
    Wow, that's a pretty sweet deal!
     
  15. pieman02 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2007
    #15
    If I were you I'de take it...just my opinion...I have learned first hand that there may be needs in the not-so-distant future for better video cards and as a result it costs a whole new notebook rather than the $xxx to get it in the first place :rolleyes:
     
  16. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    #16
    Yeah, if you're getting $250 off, I'd just go for it. The extra video RAM is probably worth it by itself if you game, and certainly the extra CPU speed combined with the RAM is. (And the drive is a bit bigger too, if you're going to use the stock drive-worth probably $30-50 or so retail right there.)
     

Share This Page