15" 2.3 GHz or 2.6GHz?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adibear, Nov 4, 2013.

1. adibear, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2013

adibear macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm currently thinking about buying one of the new 2013 Macbook Pros (15 inch) since I'm still cracking along on my white plastic macbook from 2008!

I'll definitely go for the 15" model with dedicated graphics card. But I'm not quite sure if I should order the 2.3 GHz model or the 2.6 GHz model.
    I usually keep my laptops for > 4 years and use them mainly for video editing. I'm a youtube partner and the majority of my videos are 3-6 minutes long, nothing too fancy--see the link to see the examples of the videos I make. I make them 4 times a month and plan to keep my computer for >4 years. File sizes for the videos run from 400mb-1000mb for each video.

My biggest issue on my macbook now is the rendering speed from imovie, which takes HOURS. I understand I am working on a 5 year old macbook with 3 gigs left on the memory, but it is just unbearably slow and heats up quite quickly.

With that said I am wondering--will I really see a noticeable difference between the 2.3GHz and the 2.6GHz? On a day to day basis, I'll be using this computer for my school work and photography and such. I don't want to spend the extra money if there isn't that much of a difference. Also, I've heard rumors (read, rumors) that the 2.6 heats up more which I definitely want to avoid. I also heard it doesn't get the full 8 hour batter, but again I'd love to hear more from people that actually own these.

Soooo what to do what to do? 2.3 or 2.6? Both models have the dedicated NVIDIA graphics card. Will I see the difference in the processing speed? Or will I not?

Oh and if you liked my link feel free to sub :)
    Thanks!

Adi

2. koban4max, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2013

koban4max macrumors 68000

3. Starfyre macrumors 68020

Starfyre

The processing you describe will be noticeably faster on the 2.6 compared to the 2.3.

4. Jah2013 macrumors newbie

2.6 GHz rockz. It will keep turbo boosting up to 3.6 GHz whenever its needed. Dunno about the 2.3 GHz