15" 2.4 i5 Macbook Pro Kernel Panic

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sspbravo, May 9, 2010.

1. sspbravo macrumors newbie

:eek: Just had my third kernel panic on my i5 mbp. got it last tuesday and really loving it so far. but, these kernel panics have me worrying me a bit. Ran the hardware tests and no problem showed up. Also tried resetting pram. still, the kernel panics occur. I hope it's nothing too crazy, but if it happens again i'm hoping I will get a replacement.

This also happen to anyone? :confused:

2. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Run disk utility repair permissions then check the disk to see if it needs repaired if thats good then it is a hardware issue thats covered by Apple.

3. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

My first 15" i5 MBP I was getting Kernel Panic all the time.

I re installed OSX and ran Apple hardware test but all was OK but the error kept happening. Apple sent me out a brand new MBP when I rang them about it.

4. sspbravo thread starter macrumors newbie

i've run disk utility and i get these three lines:
    Warning: SUID file "Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access.app/Contents/Resources/kcproxy" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/authopen" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/security_authtrampoline" has been modified and will not be repaired.

now, i understand some of these SUID file prompts are okay, such as the authopen one which is stated in this page: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1448?viewlocale=en_US

but, no idea what the kcproxy and security_authtrampoline one is as they're not listed as being ok.

AH, i guess i'll let apple know and since im in the 14 day window, hopefully they will replace mine also, like Ross'. Just kinda disappointing as I'll have to wait for them to mail it, which i'm guessing will take a few days...
    Hopefully, this isn't a wide problem others are experiencing.

5. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Did you try booting from the OS X disc and running repair?

6. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

When i phoned them I got a new one mailed to me the next day and that same day they sent a courier to pick up my broken one.

7. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Are you booting into 64 bit mode and also do you have any new peripheral connected?

If not then there's something wrong with the I/O somewhere...either from what you're connecting to it or from one of the components attached to the MLB itself

SATA connection, Airport, BT etc

8. sspbravo thread starter macrumors newbie

yep, have tried running repair through disk utility and the hardware test from the discs that came with it.

1 day?? wow, that's fast. I guess i'll give them a call and see what's up.

I thought i'm booting into 64bit automatically? Only peripherals connected is my mouse through a usb-input receiver and my external hard drive, which i don't leave connected all the time.

9. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

64bit is manual so you're probably booting into 34 bit.

If it was 64 bit then you might have issues when you plug peripherals in due to lack of necessary drivers.

Bottom line, it looks like you got a lemon