15" 2.4 i5 or 13" 2.4 with 8GB RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skate71290, Jul 24, 2010.

1. skate71290 macrumors 6502a

Hey, just wanting everyone's suggestions, should I get a 15" 2.4 i5 base model or 13" 2.4 with 8GB RAM, I will be using the laptop to convert videos for my iPod Classic, University Work and watching movies/Safari, am I right in thinking that conversion speed in Handbrake is solely based on CPU power?

2. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

cpu bound and multithreaded video transcode yes => i5

3. Khryz macrumors 6502a

At the very least get the base 2.4 GHz i5 if you like to encode/convert videos and media.

Remember, you can always add RAM down the road but you can't change out the processor.

4. mattkidd macrumors regular

mattkidd

Video encoding depending on its variances is mainly utilised by CPU and GPU performance, i believe hand-break specifically uses the CPU, therefore for your requirement the i5 is potential ever so more suited, however saying that the 13" core duo still stands quite a considerable level at doing such a job, ive converted a couple of videos myself and have seen such as significant increase in the speed compared to my previous Windows Laptop (Samsung R505) so if your wanting to save a bit of cash id recommend the 13", 8GB of RAM isnt really necessary unless you planning on running many applications at the same time that require extensive usage of memory, otherwise its pretty much unnecessary. Video encoding usually doesnt require much RAM so 8GB really would be unnecessary. In terms of the computer being 'University Friendly' either model is more than capable of both those requirements, as thats entirely the purpose of my Macbook Pro ;)

5. skate71290 thread starter macrumors 6502a

great thanks, 8GB RAM is pointless for me for the time being :) well i'm not really interested in saving the money, because i would probably use the extra £500 to get a 32GB iPad (if i were to get the 13" MBP) but i think i will definitely get the i5 as it will last me 3 years, plus i miss my first MacBook Pro which was 15" (not unibody), going back to 13" makes multi-tasking so much harder lol, as a second question, could anyone post Conversion times of videos on Handbrake to see how much faster the i5 performs over the Core 2 Duo, thanks again