15" 2.53GHz vs 15" 2.66GHz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by acearchie, Nov 3, 2010.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I have recently received funding meaning that I will get a Macbook Pro 15" at no cost to me.

I do however, have the option of upgrading the specs of the computer with my own finance.

Being a student I am slightly short on cash but this laptop will last me for at least the next 4 years if not 5. For a student the price to upgrade from a 2.53Ghz model to the 2.66Ghz is about £128.

Would you think that this would justify the extra processor boost and graphics boost?

I realise that it may not be a considerably amount of money or a significant improvement but I want to make sure I am not missing out.

I will mainly be using the computer to help me with my learning as my powerbook is on it's last legs. I will also be using Final Cut relating to my University course and using Aperture with large Raw files.

Thanks for the help!

2. ShiftClick macrumors regular

ShiftClick

Not sure if by Final Cut you just mean FCP or the entire studio.

Faster processor faster renders, Motion/Color will benefit from larger graphics memory. If you are going to be a heavy user of FCP I would recommend the 2.66 model. Also if FCS is your main tool, I would also get the higher resolution screen.

Over the course of 4 years depending on your usage you could save weeks of time off renders with just a 5-10% boost in render times, all those seconds add up.

3. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

When I bought my 15", I got the i7 simply because the processor and video RAM are NOT upgradeable later. And it'll hold a higher resale value, too...

4. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Thanks guys,

I do mean the whole FCP suite and I will be using some after effects as well.

Resale value is a good thing to consider as well.

I will definitely see if I can get the cash together for the upgrade!