15" 2.6GHz Macbook Pro - My First Mac - Top 10

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lKeithStone, Nov 4, 2013.

1. lKeithStone macrumors member

I LOVE THIS MACHINE!!

Now that I got that out of the way... I figured I would share 10 things I've experienced moving from a PC/Windows machine to Mac/OS X.

1. I think the toughest part of the transition so far has been the shortcut keys for OS X (copy, paste ect..) - Although it's getting easier each day.

2. I absolutely love the multi-touch gestures! I never thought they would be as handy as they are.

3. Everything just feels so much more fluid than any Windows based PC that I've ever used.

4. THAT SCREEN!! :D I have the Samsung screen and it's nothing short of amazing.

5. THAT KEYBOARD!! :D

6. The build quality is superb.

7. Downloading my first app was a little confusing at first, having to drag and drop it into the application folder, then ejecting it from the desktop.

8. I absolutely love the multiple desktops! It makes working on a laptop bearable. I'm so used to my dual monitor setup when doing Web Development work.

9. No Bloatware!!! Nothing is worse than buying a brand new Windows PC and having to uninstall a bunch of crap trial software or re-installing Windows. Everything that came loaded on this Mac is stuff I will use!

10. I'm a big fan of the Notification Center and excited to learn more about Terminal commands.

I must say I never understood what all the hype was around Apple products, but now I understand. I would even go as far as saying that I could possibly be a fanboy. :eek: :apple:

What are some things you experienced when making the move from a Windows/PC to OS X/Mac?

2. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

my biggest thing was with windows every day there was a different minor issue that needed addressing. like monday the headphone port stopped working and it needed a restart, tuesday the battery wouldn't charge, wednesday usb devices would not work, etc etc

on mac this happens maybe once every 2 months

3. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Does that screen look at all "warm" / "yellowish" / "off-white"?

4. lKeithStone thread starter macrumors member

Not at all. Have you had an issue with your Samsung screen?

5. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

quit obsessing over screen colors.. ;)

6. Breedlove macrumors regular

7. sabbyp macrumors regular

I love my creaking, yellow screen, crap battery life rMBP!!!!!!!!

seriously though people, get a grip. it's a fine computer.

8. lKeithStone thread starter macrumors member

Here is my screen at max brightness. Looks pretty damn good to me.

Attached Files:

9. lKeithStone thread starter macrumors member

Haha I agree!! That's why I posted this thread. Everything is so negative on here. I LOVE MINE!!

10. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

No, just trying to get an idea whether they are off-white.

----------

Fine looking indeed!

11. NocturnalJazz macrumors regular

Can you turn that down... it hurts my eyes.

12. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

I also am new to the Mac world. I absolutely love it. Still getting use to some tasks. I just found out the other day that you don't uninstall something... you simply send it to trash can. That blew my mind. I looked all over for uninstall until someone here told me otherwise.

About the only thing I miss so far is my DEL key. Backspace is Delete on Mac, but there doesn't seem to be a DEL. Not a big deal, but Im use to having it.

I also agree with the installing apps part. It was a little confusing. Downloads as .dmg. Double click to install. Im not even sure I am doing it right but it works. Sometimes the stuff doesn't remove itself off the desktop though.

13. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Unfortunately theres often files left in your Library folder for the specific application, so its not just that file you dragged to the trash can. Good installers from nice companies clean those up, but for applications like Google Chrome, you have to manually cleanup yourself.

14. enjoimorenow macrumors newbie

you open the .dmg file, drag the application into your apps folder on the mac, and then you can eject the .dmg because you no longer need it.

If you don't copy the app from the .dmg to your apps folder you will have to keep all of the .dmg's mounted for the apps to work.

Hope that makes sense.

15. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

So I should just check that folder for left over crap or is it spread out among many folders?

16. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Its probably spread out among multiple folders, depending on where the developer decided to put or cache those files. Library is just a typical location for the top level folder of where they hide/put everything. Its a little silly, but to even get to that folder without terminal, you have to open up the finder, click on "Go" on the top menu bar and hold down the "Option" key to even see it.

17. lKeithStone thread starter macrumors member

I downloaded an app called AppCleaner. You just drag the app you want to remove to AppCleaner and it finds all associated files and deletes them. Otherwise if you just delete the app, it's not deleting everything. I definitely recommend downloading it.

I do miss the delete key now that you mention it. Especially when coding! Kind of stinks you have to press fn+delete, but it's not to big of a deal.

Yeah, I'm clicking the .dmg and once the app pops up I've just been dragging the app over to the app folder. Then right clicking the drive on the desktop and ejecting. I think I'm doing it right. :confused:

18. pat.micunnis macrumors regular

Have your keyboard mimic Windows (e.g. "Ctrl + C")

19. lKeithStone thread starter macrumors member

Hahaha :cool:

20. warplane95 macrumors regular

For me, compare to my windows pc, osx was an downgrade.
    I have the 2.3GHz, 16gb RAM, 512GB SSD

1. no delete button

2. less performance then my old pc

3. not enough screen brightness

4. app took twice longer too open

5. too much compatibility problem

6. can't install windows 8.1

7. too much keyboard shortcut

8. lag for basic stuff in autocad for mac

9. 3000$ and we cant get a simply sleeve or bag

10. no upgrade possibility

BUT!!! I LOVE MY MACBOOK PRO!!!!!

1. Oh my god, is so slim :)

2. Thats the best trackpad ever :D

3. The general quality of the product

4. The good backlit keyboard

5. The great service quality, command receive 4 day after!!! (canada)

6. OS X is so easy to use

7. The best quality product for performance, price, quality

8. Wifi is really good

9. launchpad is better than windows start menu

10. The speaker is very very powerful!!!

overall, I have good feeling with my mac and I'll recommend this too a friend

21. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

22. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

Just out of curiosity, are you experiencing slight lag with Mission Control? Specifically when the Iris Pro is in use and you have 1 Safari window open and 1 Finder window? I have the 2.3GHz model and I see slight lag when activating Mission Control under these conditions. Interestingly the problem isn't apparent when more windows are open - which is strange, you'd think the problem would worsen.

23. lKeithStone thread starter macrumors member

Hmm that is strange. There was no lag with mine when having 1 Finder and 1 Safari window open and accessing mission control. You sure nothing else is running in the background?

24. Blue Sun, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013

Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

Yeah, nothing running in the background. There is a delay in the animation and it skips frames when returning from Mission Control. There is no problem when the GT 750m is activated, and there is no problem with the base 15" rMBP with only the Iris Pro. It is very strange, but extremely annoying. I paid the extra $700 and waited a long time to avoid this.

EDIT: confirmed software bug. It appears that upon switching the Dock from the left of the screen to the bottom, the lag is no longer present. I will submit a bug report to Apple, even though it is extremely minor.