15" 2010 MacBook Pro Crash

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by patbatchelder, May 20, 2011.

1. patbatchelder, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011

patbatchelder macrumors newbie

I have a 2010 MacBook Pro, Core i7, Nvidia GeForce 330M, 4gb Ram, 2.66 Ghz.

Over the past month or so the computer crashes unexpectedly.

What exactly I mean by crash. The screen goes black, keyboard is still lit, computer is still running ( can hear it), audio "loops"...skips or w/e..sounds terrible, and cannot force quit, "option command esc", I have tried the screen intensity all the way down then up, no joy though...
    I am forced to hold down power button till turns off then restart.
    It provides an error report but don't understand a thing it says...

Not sure if its just me but it seems to do it when i move the trackpad very quickly upwards (not sure if that could do that but have no other clues)

Please help with this. I have repaired all permissions and stuff, reinstalled OSX, and can't bring my mac in for repair as i am in Mexico until next month.

Hopefully I can get help from the community!!

2. vbman213 macrumors 6502

I had a very similar crash happen to me about 4 months ago. I was running Windows 7 inside of Parallels Desktop 6 and the system locked up, screen went black, and the audio that was playing at the time of the crash was looping the same ~1 of audio. Scary! Yet, I have never experienced it again, and I run Parallels nearly every day!

3. kohlstar macrumors newbie

Hi! I've been having the same exact problem almost daily with the same system/specs. Did you ever find a solution??

4. ethilien macrumors newbie

I've been having the exact same issue, again with the same specs (although more aftermarket ram). I also had my main logic board replaced less than four weeks go due to another hardware problem, so I highly doubt its yet another hardware issue. From the error reports it appears to be a bug in the graphics card driver, so hopefully apple will release an update that will fix it. Goodness know's I've sent in enough error reports :p

5. kohlstar macrumors newbie

I know what you mean. I feel like the past 30 reports have gone into a black hole or something. :p And you'd think by now I would've learned to save as I go... nope. I've lost hours with this stupid thing.

Though it's a bit of a relief that it's not a hardware problem because I didn't get AppleCare and my warranty just ran out. I saw the same in the crash report and it has to be a graphics card issue.

I'm praying for a fix...

6. darkmess macrumors newbie

I would say it is hardware-related then. If you re-installed OS X, how could the same software issue come again unless it has to do with hardware?

I have software OS X crashes all the time, but it doesn't go the way his has.

7. Oscar02083450 macrumors newbie

If you're near Mexico City you can take it to the Mac Store in Polanco and have them take a look at it. This February I took my iPad in because the connector port stopped working and had a new iPad in about 4 days. All I had to do was fill a form because the iPad was purchased in Phoenix.

8. kohlstar macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I think I might've found the problem, at least for me. Whenever I have Flash running in my browser (Chrome) and I use Expose, my computer crashes. Not all the time, but that's when it happens. I tried using Expose repeatedly with Flash running and my computer has crashed every time. And it never does when I don't.

Could someone who has reported similar problems try this out themselves? Use Expose repeatedly and quickly with Flash running in a browser and see if your computer crashes?

I'd venture to say then that it is definitely a software issue.

Also, if it can be of any use, I grabbed my problem report:

9. David-fr macrumors 6502

Lol, I walk in to the :apple: Store and they swap it right in the spot. :p

10. Unix4Mac macrumors newbie

Same issue with the 15" quad-core MacBook Pro here. My suspicion is that it is a video card problem. The screen just goes black, but the machine is still running and the keyboard keys are lit. However, the keys to dim or brighten them do not perform their intended function; the keys remain at the same back-lit brightness. Attempts to SSH into the system fail. No response. I have to hold down on the power button and reboot. This is happening about once per day. I can be doing anything from web browsing to checking email. When I got this notebook I immediately upgraded to Lion, so I was wondering if I should reinstall the OS, but I have had no problems with other machines. So as I said, I suspect either one of the video cards is bad, or the firmware needs to be updated. I've sent Apple several error reports, so I hope they're paying attention to this.

11. wilycoder macrumors 6502

Mid 2010 15" MBP, exact same issue.

I have determined that the nVidia GPU is to blame.

If I use the gfxCardStatus tool and force it to use the intel integrated graphics all the time, the computer works flawlessly.

But as soon as I switch to the nvidia GPU, the computer locks up with the screen going off. Keyboard lights still on. If audio was playing, it enters a loop like a broken record.

As I don't have AppleCare, I am really worried this will be like a $1100 fix :(

12. jondob macrumors member

This has been happening to my 13'' i5.. Usually when im watching videos, sometimes when I'm just browsing.. I have to hold the power and reboot.

Just started happening last week.

13. Lion86 macrumors newbie

Same story here with my macbook for the past month and a half (of course it started after my coverage expired). =/ Help a brother out if someone finds a fix...

14. airrwaves44 macrumors newbie

having this issue a few times a day, brought it to apple and they took my computer for a week and found no problem. it still occurs, i don't know what to do next...

15. masonclark90 macrumors newbie

I've been having this same issue. It's been going on for a few months now. I've tried hardware tests i've cleared the harddrive and reinstalled everything but nothing has worked. I found a few firmware updates on apples site but the problem still continues. It happens any time I use photoshop and occasionally when I'm just checking email or browsing the web.

Has anyone found a solution to this yet?

16. oms123 macrumors newbie

After 48 hours of search

And executing all the suggestions: clean PRAM, gfxstatus, permissions, repairs, disk cleanups etc...

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

This is I believe the problem we are all experiencing.
    Same specs, blackouts for months.

Its a graphic card issue indeed; you can try the suggestions they have there.. pretty much - a new board is needed, and Apple will change it *if* you still have AppleCare ... Crazy.

Thanks go to this guy:
    http://oleb.net/blog/2012/05/15-inch-mbp-mid-2010-crashing-to-black-screen/

Cheers all and g'luck

17. BoldAnt macrumors newbie

Yes. You have the answer. I spent weeks searching all the forums on the net to find the solution to this problem early this year.

It is a known problem by Apple although they may dispute it.

I took my 2010 macbook pro to my local Apple Store for them to have look at it. I had to point out the thread above to them as they had not come across the problem locally before. They initially said that it wasn't a problem with the Nvidia graphics card but after much protesting I convinced them that I thought that it was.

They miraculously discovered that there is a test that they can run to determine if the known problem exists. My machine tested positive.

At the store they originally tried to charge me £400 to fix it but eventually Apple replaced the motherboard for free. Their policy is to replace the motherboard for free if the problem is identified within two years of purchase. So you will need to be quick in taking it in.

It has now been working fine since the motherboard change for the last six months. Fingers crossed.

Good luck.:)