15" 2010 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Soon2BeLegend, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Soon2BeLegend macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

I just bought a used 15" 2010 MacBook Pro off eBay and I want a second opinion. The second I opened the package, I noticed the keyboard was a bit sticky and so was the power button, the speakers sound muffled when playing audio and the backlight on the keyboard does not work. The keyboard works, but the backlight doesn't and the first thing I thought was the previous user spilled some kind of liquid on the computer, but they claim they have never done that. The logic board doesn't appear to have any corrosion, but I did find a piece on the logic board that is cracked (which I will post a picture). The Mac restarted itself randomly once already, and when it tried booting after restarting, it restarted itself a second time. My biggest concern with this computer is the fact it takes it 6 whole seconds from the time I press the power button till it chimes, and from my experience healthy Macs chime at most one second from pressing the power button. Am I right to think this Mac might be on it's way to death? Or am I just paranoid? There's just something about this Mac that doesn't seem right.

Thank you!

PS: in image, the crack I see is that circle that says "330 M"

Attached Files:

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Doesn't seem promising, especially with the restarts. Was it sold as is, with no promise of performance? Or was it sold as working? In the latter case, you can probably return for a full refund for not being as described, because the backlight doesn't work and it restarts randomly.

If it was super-cheap and you want to keep it anyway, take it to a reputable repair shop. The keyboard may need to be cleaned, and the logic board can probably be examined and repaired.

3. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

The key to this is how the item was described on eBay. Plainly the faults you describe would entitle you to return if sold in usable working condition.

4. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

In my non-expert opinion, it sounds like liquid damage is a strong possibility, even if the logic board doesn't show signs of corrosion (could have been cleaned or replaced...?)

Does the 2010 have water sensors that turn red when exposed to liquid? If so, and they are red, that might be worth taking photos of for documentation purposes?

5. Soon2BeLegend thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry it took me awhile to get back to your replies. The ad said it is a fully functioning, ready to use MacBook Pro in good condition and they aren't accepting any returns because they travel too much to accept a return. I didn't notice any kind of water sensors when I opened it up, just that crack I posted. It's definitely not as described, and when I mentioned to the seller about the back light on the keyboard not working, she said "I never noticed because I never look at the keyboard when I type" but something like that is easy to tell regardless. I will be messaging the seller asking for a return, and if she declines, I'll be getting in contact with ebay. I have pictures of errors that popped up after the restarts that can prove it isn't functioning properly.

6. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I never look at the keyboard when I type either, but you tend to look at it before you type. Even as I am typing this, while not looking at the keyboard, I can't help but notice the backlit keys in my peripheral vision, as well. I would have to think she was well aware of the issue.