15' 2010 Refurb Macbook Pro Hi-Res AG Uneven Backlight?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JagNL, Mar 19, 2011.

1. JagNL, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

JagNL macrumors member

I picked up a 15" 2010 Refurb i5 with the Hi-Res Anti-Glare off the Apple store a week and a half ago and had a quick question. I noticed when I look at the screen from the side I can see the backlight seems a little uneven when looking at a white or grey background and viewed from the sides (looks like three spotlights shining upwards and fanning our across the display). I went to the Apple store here and looked at several new 2011 display models there with the Hi-Res Antiglare screen and none exhibited this. Is this a common issue or has anyone dealt with this before? I attached a picture below for reference.

Attached Files:

2. digitalfrog macrumors regular

digitalfrog

mine is worse, when I stand the other side of it I can't see anything on the screen anymore.

in another words, is this really a problem ? How often do you use your computer sideways ?

3. JagNL thread starter macrumors member

Good point. It is a problem and it isn't at the same time. If I have others looking at pictures with me they might see since they well be viewing from the side. It isn't so much a problem for me as I view it straight on where it's not really visible. I just thought i'd ask what others thought since I am still within my 14 day return window.

4. eaf7s macrumors regular

5. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

That definitely is odd, and abnormal. I use a 2.4GHz i5 with Antiglare as my main machine, and it does not look like that from any angle...
    I'd bring it into an Apple Store if you can, they may be able to replace the screen in store even.

In regards to the post above... I don't get it?

6. Primetime89 macrumors member

Standard 15" size...Mine does feel really big though with the hi-res screen.

7. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

Bring back. Replace. Repeat til perfect. Enjoy.

8. eaf7s macrumors regular

" = inches, ' = feet

I was just being a smartass :)

9. Jmouse macrumors 6502

Id do that if it bothers you too much.

10. JagNL thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. I fixed the snafu with the punctuation, this is definately not a prototype! :D

Can they replace the screens in store or will I have to send it back for a replacement?

11. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

When it comes to displays, notebooks get sent down south for major repairs. Simple issues such as batteries, memory, and HDD issues I could see being done in the Apple Store. Replacing the display or backlight is a pretty hefty teardown.

With a skilled tech and parts at the ready, I would say an hour minimum for a display or backlight transplant.

As for the problem screen, the backlight is faulty. Even my old Apple refurb 15" PowerBook G4 doesn't have such issues with the display. Get it looked at ASAP