15" 2012 MBP RAM problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by usethisname, Dec 18, 2012.

1. usethisname macrumors newbie

Hey! So my 2012 MBP throws a fit when I try to use aperture. Here is a readout from activity monitor:

VM size: 288.31 GB
    Page ins: 15.45 GB
    Page outs: 12.13 GBs
    Swap used: 5.14 GB

I CLEARLY have a RAM problem (presently 4 GB installed). I know the official capacity is 8GB, but I've heard 16 GB also works. My question is: will I be OK with 8GB or should I go for 16 GB?

Also, does upgrading RAM in this machine invalidate Apple Care? I'm only under 1 year right now anyway but if I try to re-sell the computer this would be good to know. Just bought the 27" iMac so waiting for the next round of Air/MBP retina to come out and then selling this for one of those.

Thanks!

2. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

How long since your last restart? Page outs is cumulative since the system starts up.

Anyway, if you have restarted recently, I'd go with 16GB. The price difference between that and 8GB isn't much.

As for your warranty, RAM and HDD are considered user upgradeable. There are instructions on the Apple website. I'd suggest keeping the original Apple RAM in case you need to do any troubleshooting of you have a warranty issue.

3. usethisname thread starter macrumors newbie

Perfect, thank you!