Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robespierre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
Hi am going to buy 15.4 inch macbook pro with antiglare screen. I am torn between the discontinued model (2.54 core 2 duo) vs current (i5 2.4 gz model) because the resolution on the older model was 1440 x 900 as opposed to the current high rez 1680 x 1050 - I think that the size of the letters is uncomfortably small for me on the current model and I have heard that it is best to run the screen at its native resolution rather than changing to a lower resolution. I wonder if I am making too big a deal out of this. Otherwise I would get the latest and greatest though from what I can tell there is not too much difference between the current version and its predecessor other than discrete graphics, slightly longer battery and slightly faster CPU. Thanks

kmaute

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
USA
The high resolution display is an option. If you keep the standard configuration, you'll have the 1440x900 resolution display.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
The high resolution display is an option. If you keep the standard configuration, you'll have the 1440x900 resolution display.

OP is talking about the AG 1440x900 from the previous generation.

Basically, it depends on what your use is, whether you should get the newer one or the older one. If you need the power, get the new one. It kind of sounds like you don't need it though, so in that case, go for the older one.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
I just replaced my "old" 2.53GHz (early-2009) MBP, with a 2.66GHz i7, with SSD and hi-res screen. What a difference; much much faster, better battery life, and better integrated graphics. Also the build-in SD card reader is nice.

Go for it....

robespierre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
The problem is that antiglare is only available with the high rez screen currently whereas it is available with the standard resolution only on the discontinued model. How bad would it be to change the resolution of the high rez screen to a smaller resolution (bigger letters)?

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
The problem is that antiglare is only available with the high rez screen currently whereas it is available with the standard resolution only on the discontinued model. How bad would it be to change the resolution of the high rez screen to a smaller resolution (bigger letters)?

It's not bad, although for whatever reason, 1440x900 isn't a resolution available on the new hi-res models

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.