15.4inch screen going haywire

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by otispunkmeyer, Apr 20, 2008.

1. otispunkmeyer macrumors 6502

the other day i lifted the lid on my MBP to find half the screen covered in a corrupted grey mess...

first reaction was

"oh ****"

but it promptly sorted itself out.

last night i noticed wired white flashes going across the screen out of the corner of my eye whilst i was doing something on my main display. however it only happened when i kept the mouse button pressed down.

now today i was watching a video on line on some streaming site and the laptop screen went mental.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH46ZHF4JMM

check that **** out, it starts at 20 seconds in and gets progressively worse.

strange thing is, i stopped watching the video and now its just fine.

what could cause that? overheating? maybe the video card was having to use an infrequently used part of its logic for the video decoding and that logic is FUBAR? the latest 1.3 EFi update that supposedly fixed an issue with the screens? recently replaced battery?

2. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

could be LVDS cable, LCD panel, or worse case scenario: the logic board.

3. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Go to the genius bar and have that sorted out. That looks bad. Looks almost like a screen saver.

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

There is certainly something wrong there, but let me tell you, what's happening looks really cool... but certainly there is an issue with a cable, perhaps the LCD itself, and wort case is the logic board, but I haven't seen anything like this before.

5. Murasame macrumors newbie

Just head to the Genius Bar, they are incredibly helpful when it comes to issues like this.

6. otispunkmeyer thread starter macrumors 6502

nearest apple place is KRCS in nottinghams victoria center. so ill take it there.

thing is, im in my 3rd year of uni.... i have a major major major individual project to hand in in three weeks time. if i fail this project ill be pretty much failing the year and the IMechE wont accredit me ever...you have to pass first time to get accreditation.

put simply

i cannot be without this machine for at the very least. the next 4 weeks or so.

so im going to hold out as the screen has been just fine ever since.