'15 5k iMac: upgradeable SSD?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by -BigMac-, Jan 17, 2016.

1. -BigMac- macrumors 6502a

-BigMac-

Hi guys.

I have the 27" 2TB Fusion Model.

Can i down the track upgrade this to a full blown 1TB SSD?

Thanks!

2. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

The SSD blade is made very difficult to get to. You will have to remove the logic board. The hard drive is much easier to get at. After the screen is removed, the drive right there. I would replace the hard drive with an SSD and make a fusion of the two. People have posted speed tests in the area of 600MB/s. You probably won't notice the difference between 600 and the 1500 of the blade.

3. MadDane macrumors 6502a

As bent christian said, replacing the HDD with a large SSD would probably be an easier and way cheaper solution than replacing the proprietary SSD in your iMac. If you are willing to slice up your iMac and reseal it again it is definitely possible. I have done it on a late 2012 iMac where I replaced the stock HDD with a 1TB SSD and left the 128GB SSD in place (it came with Fusion Drive)

4. -BigMac- thread starter macrumors 6502a

-BigMac-

I'm presuming this process completely voids warranty?
    It's something i would love to have done internally. Would Apple ever allow such an upgrade in store? Even if purchasing the ssd through them?

5. MadDane macrumors 6502a

There has been some discussions about whether it does or not. But the conclusion seems to be that yes, it does void the warranty.

I have asked Apple in the US once if they would be willing to upgrade a Mac (not mine). And they said that they would only replace a part with the one it cane with. So if you want it internally and do not want to void your warranty I see two options. Either get it done by an official Apple service partner or wait until the warranty expires.

6. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

I would go with an external thunderbolt or USB ssd drive vs opening a modern iMac. Since the iMac is a desktop computer, an external drive is much easier to situate than with a laptop.

7. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

I'm getting the late 2015 model coming this Thursday... I upgraded to a 256gb SSD, I wonder is the HDD area completely missing as in there's no drive there.

8. makrom, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016

makrom macrumors regular

You'll only get an SATA port if you order it with an HDD (incl. FD).

9. bogg macrumors 6502

bogg

The HD holder/carriage and associated cables are missing on the ones bought only with an SSD.
    Should be possible to jerry-rig a 2.5" SSD anyway, say with 3M dual sided adhesive tape and a the correct cabling.

The sad part about the SSD is that it is located right above the rear USB and thunderbolt ports, so if apple had wanted to they could have made a small door just as for the RAM...