15" 6490 or 6750 GPU?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bertie343, Dec 23, 2011.

1. bertie343 macrumors member

Lifetime Windows user here about to dive into the world of Apple. After doing some research, I'm stuck between two options in Apple's refurb store (hopefully both will be there by the time I make my purchase): whether to get the 6490 or 6750. Of course, the question becomes, what will I be using my Mac for?

First off, I'm a CS student in college (so little to no GPU usage there). However, I also author DVDs and plan to run Bootcamp so I can play Flight Simulator X on it as well (from what I understand, FSX is more CPU than GPU intensive).

Bearing these things in mind, is it worth the extra $300-$350 to get the 6750 or will I be just fine with the 6490? Thanks in advance for the advice!!

2. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

so ur question isn't that

it really is mac mini or iMac

the mac mini is much slower then the iMac on mutlicore tasks and has a much better gnu more ram capabiltys and a built in monitor so why not get it

3. simsaladimbamba

The question is, if the better GPU would be noticeable for the computational needs of the OP, and since the 6490M and 6750M are in the early 2011 MBPs, which are now available via the Refurb Store, the question is NOT about iMac or Mac mini.
    Maybe the portability is an issue?

@ OP: Anyway, the 6490M will suffice your needs. DVD authoring doesn't take advantage of the GPU and the FSX game will be totally happy on that 6490M GPU.